Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally am getting back to working on my 68 coupe.It has been sitting for a few months with the cowl top off and the rotted hat cut out waiting for the cowl patch welded in.I finally welded patch in the other night.I borrowed the spot welder from work and used it around the outside edge.That worked great plus don't have to grind any weld after it.The patches don't fit worth a crap on the 67 or 68 so had to make it fit with a hammer.Dont laugh,I am a machinist not a welder but am getting better.The passenger side only has a few pin holes in it and figure its to thin to try welding on and a Body shop friend of mine suggested just a layer of fiberglass with epoxy primer and paint will seal it up for good so I think I am going that route on the passenger side.Going to lightly grind my weld down to take the roughness off and fiberglass the other side and epoxy prime then seam sealer then epoxy prime another coat then Paint.Next problem I have is the guy I got the car from tried to seal the cowl by cutting a big hole in the upper cowl to get into the inner and tared it.I was trying to patch it but don't think it is going to turn out and cant really afford to buy a new cowl top.Anyone know where I could get a doner for a patch or how to patch this.I put a pic of it here also.Also any tricks to welding the cowl top back on.Looks like the 3/8 hole left by the spot weld drill wont be easy to weld in and grind off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
ymurf the holes aren't really all that bad to weld up especially since yours aren't all the way through for the most part. Once you get into welding them you will get good at dang near needing no grinding to dress up the weld. When I was doing mine I would start in the middle of the hole and work out to the edge in a circle, some start on the edge and work in a circle motion. Let me have another look at my 68 donor car to see if I can get that piece out of the cowl. It has rust issues but that area may be better then it looks. I will look at it again tomorrow to see if it can be cut out for you. BTW how is the pond project going?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trialsguy said:
ymurf the holes aren't really all that bad to weld up especially since yours aren't all the way through for the most part. Once you get into welding them you will get good at dang near needing no grinding to dress up the weld. When I was doing mine I would start in the middle of the hole and work out to the edge in a circle, some start on the edge and work in a circle motion. Let me have another look at my 68 donor car to see if I can get that piece out of the cowl. It has rust issues but that area may be better then it looks. I will look at it again tomorrow to see if it can be cut out for you. BTW how is the pond project going?
Hey hows it going? That would be great if you had a good patch. Haven't worked on the pond yet.Waiting on the dozer guy.His machine broke on him last week.Going to try to direct some more water to pond.Need more run off.Let me know on that patch when you can.Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trialsguy said:
Hey trials guy,I got a patch for my cowl top today.Gateway mustang cut one out of there donner cars for me for $15. Thanks all the same though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OK good I am glad I checked here to see about what size I needed to cut out before I went out and cut it up. Good for you looks like you got the welding thing down, are you going to lay it in behind and scribe a line and cut out the exact size and butt weld it in?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trialsguy said:
OK good I am glad I checked here to see about what size I needed to cut out before I went out and cut it up. Good for you looks like you got the welding thing down, are you going to lay it in behind and scribe a line and cut out the exact size and butt weld it in?
Thats the plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts