Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here purchased a Scott Drake cowl? If so, did it come in one or two pieces?

I see one on Jeg's, says made in USA, would expect it to be decent quality, but doesn't say one or two pieces. Figured if anyone here has purchased one, they can give the pros and cons on it.

Thanks for any feedback given.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at this one https://www.jegs.com/i/Scott-Drake/204/1114/10002/-1

Jegs customer service wasn't sure, and they looked on S Drakes site and said they sell them separately but weren't sure about the complete unit. I'll probably try to call Drake's site tomorrow.

Was hoping someone here might have installed one. But, I'm swaying towards the Dynacorn cowl instead, seems more folks have had better fitment with them.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I think the issue is with the windshield wiper holes. I recall having to graft my original wiper holes onto the new cowl on my first 66. It was a two piece cowl but the holes were different. I cut them out of the original and welded them into the new after cutting the new ones out.

This doesn't answer your one or two piece question, just trying to pass information on that I hope elaborates on what 22GT response was.

Allen

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I had the shop re-use my original 66 top. I also had them prime/paint ALL surfaces of the cowl - not correct, but I hope it never needs to be done again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've seen where the 66 has a difference with the wiper holes, but was under the impression they still fit. The piece on Jegs is titled for 65-66, if it require cutting and welding then I'll have to wait awhile. I've enough sheet metal work going on right now. Maybe just install the lower portion to get other stuff to line up.

I've watched Barry's you tube vids "JoDaddy" on the 66 convertible he's rebuilding, amazing. Maybe I'll send him a email see what he did with the one he installed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
From my understanding, and I could be wrong, there is only one manufacturer of the 65 cowl.
I used it on my 66. It came in two pieces which allows for prepping and rustproofing the cowl once and for all. I like chrome, so I just switched the 65 wipers.

·
Registered
33,884 Posts
I think the issue is with the windshield wiper holes. I recall having to graft my original wiper holes onto the new cowl on my first 66. It was a two piece cowl but the holes were different. I cut them out of the original and welded them into the new after cutting the new ones out.

This doesn't answer your one or two piece question, just trying to pass information on that I hope elaborates on what 22GT response was.

Allen
I believe the one they offer is fully assembled. They come fully painted, inside and out. Which is better than OEM. While the upper panel was galvanized, the lower panel wasn't even painted. I asked a Ford engineer about that one time, and he explained the upper had the vent slots, and they were concerned about warranty problems from paint peeling in the slots. The lower wouldn't rust through until long after the warranty period, so they didn't care. Probably saved $1 per car.

And yes, the cowl offered is the early 65 type. Late 65 and all of 66 had completely different wiper holes. You either have to cut out your old holes and weld them to the new panel, or use "64 1/2" style wiper arms.

Frankly, I wish they had reproed the late cowl instead, and told them when they started making it. It would be a simple matter to flatten out the late style for an early car, but the reverse is a real pain.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your responses, donno which way I'm going yet, but am thinking the two piece will be my direction.

22GT, thanks for the input, seems these ole Stangs weren't meant for longevity in the beginning. Believe me, I never thought I'd be doing the resto work I'm doing today. Thankfully one can get just about anything needed for rebuilding them, just takes time and money, and for the home builder, some skills for sure. I am honing my welding skills 👍

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I called Scott Drakes (SD), they say it's one unit with an upper and lower piece, so that to me means two pieces. The tech I talked to confirmed it, also said it wasn't made in the USA, damn..

I called JEGS, the tech said the made in USA on their site is there because that's what they've been told from SD. So I mentioned they may want to look into it, because if I had ordered it thinking it was made in the USA, and it came with a farmed out country tag on it, i'd be upset as I sure they would too. Tech said he'd be looking into it.

Barry from JoDaddy's Garage answered my email, and said he hasn't gotten to the wiper setup yet on the Brooklyn Pony, but did install a wiper system in a 65 he did with a new cowl setup, no issues. I mentioned to him the mods that are needed on the 66, we'll see what becomes of it.

That's all for now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has anyone here purchased a Scott Drake cowl? If so, did it come in one or two pieces?

I see one on Jeg's, says made in USA, would expect it to be decent quality, but doesn't say one or two pieces. Figured if anyone here has purchased one, they can give the pros and cons on it.

Thanks for any feedback given.

I actually purchased a Dynacorn Cowl two piece assembly " The only way CJ pony sells it" for one of my 66 GT mustangs that I am restoring now and only wound up using the top portion. The bottom on mine was near perfect condition. I cleaned it up re-sealed and painted the inside. I still have the bottom piece brand new if I can help any members out here only needing the bottom piece.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
This may or not be of any concern, I went with the Dynacorn two piece, which also is made for early 65. I have a mid production 65 so I got to avoid the wiper issue. If everything I bought had fit as well as that cowl, I would be one happy builder and a lot further along than I am.

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
I put a new inner and outer cowl in my project, the fit was very good. I cut out the original wiper holes on my old cowl and was going to graft them into the new cowl but decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'll just go with 65 wiper arms and trim. Btw, I've seen several cars at car shows over the last 6 years. I've seen a fair amount of 66's that had the 65 type cowl. As far as I could tell they were factory installed, guessing they were leftover 65 sheet metal. Check out NPD for the Dynacorn cowls, I also just replaced the full inner panel on a friend's 66. Check out page 1 on my build thread.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don't know if this is an option for you but my cowl was only real bad around the vent holes. I bought two vent holes and cut the old and welded the new ones in. Sealed it up and then put the original top back on. Other than the outside foot of the lower cowl, the rest was solid.
<style></style>

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, good feedback, much appreciated.

GTMustang I sent a PM to you, am interested in the lower section you have.

Cruising68, my cowl was pretty well gone on the bottom side, top might be salvageable. If my welding skills were juuuuuust a bit better I'd maybe tackle it trying to fab some pieces. Never know, i still may give it a shot.

I need to learn how to do that multi-quote function, would make it a bit easier to answer folks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks everyone, good feedback, much appreciated.

GTMustang I sent a PM to you, am interested in the lower section you have.

Cruising68, my cowl was pretty well gone on the bottom side, top might be salvageable. If my welding skills were juuuuuust a bit better I'd maybe tackle it trying to fab some pieces. Never know, i still may give it a shot.

I need to learn how to do that multi-quote function, would make it a bit easier to answer folks.

Your welding skills improve significantly after doing a cowl :)

On the multi quote, select MULTI QUOTE for all quotes except the last. On the last select QUOTE and it should work.

<style></style>

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cowl

I actually purchased a Dynacorn Cowl two piece assembly " The only way CJ pony sells it" for one of my 66 GT mustangs that I am restoring now and only wound up using the top portion. The bottom on mine was near perfect condition. I cleaned it up re-sealed and painted the inside. I still have the bottom piece brand new if I can help any members out here only needing the bottom piece.
Let's see if this will work....PM sent

Don't know if this is an option for you but my cowl was only real bad around the vent holes. I bought two vent holes and cut the old and welded the new ones in. Sealed it up and then put the original top back on. Other than the outside foot of the lower cowl, the rest was solid.
<style></style>
My lower cowl is shot.

Your welding skills improve significantly after doing a cowl :)
I agree, hopefully I don't blow threw the parent metal tooooo much.

On the multi quote, select MULTI QUOTE for all quotes except the last. On the last select QUOTE and it should work.

Thanks

<style></style>

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost got it right, unless the last quote keeps the answer in the box like mine did above.

Thanks again, I'll have to practice more with it.

·
Vendor
3,515 Posts
FWIW, there is only ONE manufacturer for the 65-66 upper/lower cowl, and everyone is importing the same cowl (Drake, Dynacorn, NPD, etc..). The factory that actually makes it is Musclecar GT (which is Dynacorn's primary source), and we (NPD) buy direct.

For the sake of discretion and decorum, I bite my lip plenty on the forums... But all of the "branding" that goes on with U.S.-based importers really drives me insane, because it causes so much confusion throughout the hobby, so many restorers spinning in circles and chasing their tails, because they're being misled or confused.

Then... Toss into the mix a couple of giant racing parts suppliers deciding to dive into the restoration parts game in order to supplement their sales, but having no real knowledge or experience with the products, basically just "uploading" giant ACES & PIES data/image-files from U.S.-based W/D suppliers into their systems with a single keystroke and then re-selling it...

And you have chaos...

O.K., back to biting my lip... ;)

Rick
NPD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts