Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ready to install the plastic cowl hat on the driver side of my 67.

The original cowl is in pretty rough shape, this will only slow the inevitable down a couple years, but its the best I can do for now.

Im going to needs gobs of sealant.

Whats the best product to use? Silicone or latex?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,703 Posts
I think of latex as more of a "painters caulk". Sealants for windows and such is generally silicone based. I would go with silicone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Personally, I don't trust RTV silicone. It has its uses, but I've seen far too many places where adhesion was weak and temporary, especially if the surface is not perfectly clean. Nothing worse than some loose RTV trapping water where it was intended to keep said water out to begin with. If you're gluing in the plastic hats, I'd think about an automotive panel adhesive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could use urethane, the same stuff windshields are set in.

Of course the next owner will curse me to hell trying to remove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
I used Eastwood seam sealer on mine. Mostly 'cause i had it already. But if it's good enough for the floors it should be good enough for the cowl.

Mine was mainly leaking through the seam sealer between the hat and the cowl floor, but i think it ought to work even if yours is more rusty. And it comes in quarts so you don't have to worry about running out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to cut out the hat, but I dont have anything that reaches far enough to do it.

The passenger side is perfect, the driver side horrible.

I should probably remove the fender to make sure the drain is clear, otherwise Im wasting my time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
My hats were rusted on my 67 in 1975 when I bought the car. The cowl itself was still in good shape. I pulled out the hats as best I could from underneath. I then sanded as best I could on both top and bottom sides. I treated with a rust convertor everywhere I could reach ( I was 17 and still very flexible). I found some margarine containers the right size and cut the bottom out. Stuck them up in there with lots of silicon. They fixed the problem and stayed in there for about 30 years until I resorted the interior for the 2nd time since I owned the car. I pulled out the margarine tubs, went thru the drill again and put in the top hats you can purchase today. They've ben in there ~ 14 years now. I know that some may flame me, but it has worked for 44 years and counting with no leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
I need to cut out the hat, but I dont have anything that reaches far enough to do it.

The passenger side is perfect, the driver side horrible.

I should probably remove the fender to make sure the drain is clear, otherwise Im wasting my time.
I would think you can get up in there with a Dremel tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only dealing with the driver side.

I cut the hat out, I only had to cut an area about 2in long, the rest of the hat had rusted out.

Whats left is in rough shape.

Im going to have to reach up inside the cowl and put RTV around the perimeter of the opening to seal some rust through that the hat will not cover.

This is the only rust on the car and I hate not fixing it correctly but I cant justify the cost.

Im tempted to leave the vent out and seal it, less work for the next owner.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top