Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my kit from NPD has lousy instructions.

Should I cut off the original steel collars before installation? This would allow me to be able to get my hand up inside and coat the interior with rust inhibitor. Don't think I can apply rust proofing without cutting out the original collars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cut off mine with a dremel for the same reason. I left a little bit of metal collar in place for more area for the sealant/glue (don't remember the name of the stuff right now) to attach to but I'm not sure that was even neccessary..

I also removed my fenders and made 3 vertical cuts in the area near the drainage hole so I could peel them back for the most possible access to apply Por15 and some fiberglass. The plastic hats are of a smaller diameter than the steel anyway, so I didn't see any reason to leave them in place. (plus they weren't in the best of shape)

I put the goo on thick. The driver's side plastic hat was easy cause you can screw it in place. On the passenger side, I had to rig something to hold it in place while it dried (a piece of wood from the floorboard to the bottom of the hat). I needed more than one tube of goo for both sides. I have some pictures that will eventually make it to my website, but aren't there yet. Let me know if you would like to see them.

Mine now passes the "gallon of water down the vent" test and should rust no more (a least for a long time)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

No need for pictures. I'm trying to avoid cuting in to the tops of the cowls. I think I''ll cut out the collars and get an inspection mirror up there. If it looks reasonable, I'll coat with corroless. If I start cutting into the cowl, I'll probably decide to do it right and take the cowl off. I don't need more "while I'm at its".

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
If you're trying to keep from opening up the cowl top, I'd think that taking out the original hat would give you good access to the cowl so that you can try to rustproof. Perhaps a paint mit with Corroless paint - but watch your forearm around those rough edges! Dickson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts