Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that my drivers side cowl vent has rust... the metal tube has broken away and is loose inside the cowl.

Can this be repaired through the vent, under the dash, using a cowl hat repair kit... or does this require removal of the cowl cover to repair?

Orrrrr....can I just fish out the loose piece and reinstall the vent damper?

Thanks.

wjj

G

·
0 Posts
It can be repaired temporarily with the hats. Thats what I just did this weekend. Cut the original hat off flush inside using a dremel or cut-off tool. Clean out whatever is inside and coat inside with a rust preventative before installing the hats.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The correct way to fix it is to open up the cowl and weld in new hats, however I think if done properly there is no reason the inserts wouldn't work. If you are able to cut out all the old rust, clean and coat the cowl with a rust preventative and get the new insert hats sealed and water tight I don't see why they shouldn't work for quite some time. I am planning on trying it that way at least at first. You can always go the other way if need be later.

Alan

G

·
0 Posts
I recently fixed my drivers side cowl, and it wasn't easy! I used the insert, and wire brushed the hell out of it. After getting as much of the rust out as possible, I used rust converter in the nooks and crannys. After it dried I painted the entire area, and then coated the area with a heavy duty roof patching compound made for high temp, and designed to remain flexible. I am happy to report that it is as watertight as a frog's ass!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts