Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the wife wanted a fiberglass cowl hood for our 65

i'm having a hard time getting it to line up, i take it theres a million bolts to loosten to get the front fenders and grill moved to the right about 3/16 of an inch???

thinking i may have to do a 4 pin hood to get it lined up with no hood hinges, this could work because the hoods super light but would rather not do that if i can help it

also got the shelby valance for it and that may not be to bad to get on

·
Registered
738 Posts
6t5mustang said:
so the wife wanted a fiberglass cowl hood for our 65

i'm having a hard time getting it to line up, i take it theres a million bolts to loosten to get the front fenders and grill moved to the right about 3/16 of an inch???

thinking i may have to do a 4 pin hood to get it lined up with no hood hinges, this could work because the hoods super light but would rather not do that if i can help it

also got the shelby valance for it and that may not be to bad to get on
Ditto to the first poster. If your steel hood fit fine make the fiberglass hood fit your car, not the other waya round. Any body shop can easily extend the fiberglass hood. Heck do it yourself. Fiberglass work is easy but messy..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was gonna try to shift the whole front 3/16 to the right

in reading that comment about the stock hood fitting it just dawned on me the bolt holes on this cowl hood are probably off and i'm going the wrong way

i will see if it fits with no bolts in the hinges and see what the body line gap is on both sides

i could redo the bolt aeas of the fiberglass hood

thanks for helping open my eyes!!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Do not adjust the car to fit ANY fiberglass part! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
first get the gap at the firewall correct and go from there,if steel hood fit correctly dont move fenders, sand excess off whatever side needs it. wes

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
been working everyday and will have monday off

gonna take the cowl hood off and remove the hood hinges then set the hood back on and see just how well it lines up with the fenders and cowl area and mark the hood where it needs to be shaved/ worked on and measure the hood hinge holes on the stock hood and compare with the glass hood then make the glass hood match the stock one

as pporly as these glass hoods are made i may just leave the hood hinges off and 4 pin the cowl hood after i get it lined up nice, not sure yet, it seems like even with the hinges adjusted all the way down it sits to high in the rear

you cant see it in my sig pic but the stock hood in the past had a bolt on scoop and some damage and someone bondo'd up the hood, the repair was pretty good but now it's popping out

gonna get the shelby lower valance installed to

will get pics to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts