Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys here it goes. I like many others here have a cowl leak. I took off both fenders and replaced that rubber plug above the cowl drain area. I also took off the old seam sealer and applied new seam sealer to the area. I use that cowl cover plastic thingy, as well. Yet, water is still getting in. Can water get in throught the wiper holes near the cowl area? Or is there some other area I have neglected to see? Oh, the winshield has a new seal so i know its not getting in through there. Thanks in advance for any help, solutions or ideas.

Gyzmo

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
There are 3 sources for water leaks:
1. Cowl rusted out, with water getting in via the slots on the cowl.
2. Windshield gasket leaks, which is quite common.
3. Windshield wiper holes, which allows water into the cowl, which can leak if it is rusted out. I believe the factory had some sort of seal, which I've heard was leather. You might be able to seal it with seam sealer.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This might be a longshot, but we've seen it at the shop twice: the antenna. Water gets in around the base gasket (usually bad) and follows coax wire to low point (usually right over RH toeboard) and drips. If you've checked/replaced everything else, this "might" be something to suspect.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you've gone to the trouble of removing the fenders, consider removing the heater box (fairly straight forward job) and pulling it away from the firewall. With the heater box removed, you can look up and have an unobstructed view of the bottom of the cowl from the inside of the car. While you're inside the car have your buddy SLOWLY pour water around the suspected areas one at a time. You should be able to see where the water is coming in. You can also reach up through the "top hat" into the cowl area with your hand and pull out any debris that might be clogging the drain. If you pour water down into the cowling it should run out the drain right behind the front wheels and onto the ground. It will be very obvious. If your drain is clogged nothing will come out. My drain was clogged. After I cleared it out I had no more leaks on the passenger side. I'll tackle my leaking driver side next weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts