Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i gave my car to a body shop to paint and replace the cowls. i gave them the two pieces to replace brand new. they welded them in and painted the car.now, im getting drips, im sure, from the cowl. frustration level is very high.i dont wasnt to redo the work they did of course. can you guys give me your best guess as to where its leaking from and how can i repair without completely ripping it apart again? thanks! im in ft lauderdale if anyone has a good experiences classic mustang mechanic or body guy thatd help as well. im a regular guy with a regular job and this is my daily driver...i can do a lot of work on this car myself but sometimes i need a hand with things!

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
First, make sure they actually did the work. Ask for pictures or to see the old parts, or use your mobile phone or other camera to look under the dash (save your back) and inside the cowl for surety they did what you paid them to do. If it all looks new, chances are they didn't apply seam sealer in right places, or perhaps the windshield wasn't sealed with Glazing compound in addition to a new gasket. Having a friend to look under the dash while a sprayer is used to "rain" on the outside may help pinpoint the source, or at least help you trace it back .

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Best thing to do is pull both seats and get up under there so you can see.

Have someone use a hose and find out exactly where the leak(s) are. Take video.

It will be hard to go back to the body shop unless you have definitive information.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I agree with 66. I assume by "cowls" you're referring to the patch kits with the stove pipes and rectangular base. Either the shop didn't seal the patch kits after welding them in, or maybe the rot went beyond what the kits could cover.
If the latter was the case, the shop should have informed you before putting the whole thing together and painting the car.
My car is a 69. I didn't have the option for the patch kit. I had to remove and replace the whole thing... but I did it myself, so I know it was done right.

·
Registered
Ford Mustang fastback GT390
140 Posts
I replaced my full cowel panel on my 68 2 years ago, ever since when washing or driving in rain I would get water running down the firewall/bulkhead at both top corners,
With having spare time at the moment, I decided to investigate, 1st I poured a little water between the gap between the fender & cowel panel water started coming in straight away, poured water down the vents, again water dripping down the firewall at the back of the heater box.
yesterday I decided to take off the fenders to have a good look at what the f—k is happening, 2 minuets later I had the problem solved. I thought that I had applied seam sealer in all the right places, I did the water test again down where the gap would be between the fender & cowel panel & watched its flow down to the cowel drain hole where most flowed as it should down the side, but some stayed in a small pool at the exit hole & disappeared through the seam, just the last 2” or so that you can see when looking into the drain hole to the right.
put seam sealer on, let it dry, did an extensive water test & cured the problem,
So I though while the car is in bits, decided to take out both front & rear screens, (poorly fitted) & refit with new rubbers from steel, & fit them the right way with the 3M & rope.
That’s my self isolation for the last few days, keep safe everyone.
Mark.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If the cowl vents themselves are good, it could still be leaking at the seam where the cowl, firewall and inner fender wall come together. If that is the case you will need to remove the fenders, clean out and reseal that joint.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS everyone! I thing belky and cobra hit it i hope. yes the shop did the work and yes i can see it coming down the firewall when i pour water into the cowl opening on top. so i need to remove the fenders and take a look. ive never dont that so dont even know whats under there....does anyone have a pic of whats underneath? How difficult is this? Hopefully i can have the shop do that for me if i can show them where to glue they may help me...

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Our friend from across the Pond is referring to windscreens, or windshields.

Reactions: randyray02

·
Registered
140 Posts
Myfirstcar66
Thanks for the translation.
randyray02
To take the fenders off, you need to take off the front bumper, & most of the front grill, unplug headlights, side markers, then when you have the fenders off, take a look up into the drain hole (see pic where arrow is pointing) you will see on the right a seam, if there is no sealer on this part of the seam, this is where you need to apply seam sealer. Hope this helps you.
90E2EDDE-4F19-4A86-B866-DB5B43DD6F54.png

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where the arrow head is pointing, is the exit point from where water enters the cowel vents & exits here then down the side of the car.
hopefully I can get to my garage tomorrow & take a picture inside the exit showing where the seam sealer needs to be.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
When you remove the fenders make sure you keep track of any shims that align them.

Reactions: randyray02

·
Registered
65 FB, v8 conversion in work. 66 SJ FB with unique mods made at LAX
239 Posts
I’m going through this right now and battling it full force. Some other locations to consider:

- on the driver’s side on the kick panel there’s a cable harness. I had water coming in through the attachment point

- my door hinge wasn’t bolted securely from a PO repair. Water was coming through the hole

- I second the kick panel/firewall seam. Had water coming in there

- had a lot of water coming in through rust holes under the cowl/firewall seam. I could access these from the engine compartment and filled them.

- Finally, the one I haven’t fixed yet - halfway down the a pillar, water is coming in and dripping down the a pillar to the dash. When it comes off the dash it can mirror a leak from the cowl.

I had to remove the firewall mat to see where everything was coming from.

be sure to fix the leak from outside the car if you can. If you fix it from inside then water is sitting somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all and Gimme. So i just poured water down the windshield, the gap btwn the cowl and the fender and down into the cowl cover.Water is def coming inside from behind my vent "cylinder" down from in front of the cowl, so whatever is where the cowl meets the firewall? ALSO, and to your point, water is coming down my drivers side kick panel from the wires above and dripping down. Whats the "attachment point and hinge hole" you speak of- can you tell me more about that? Also, i dont know what i can fix from the engine compartment- everything seems closed off to get to?Finally- whats the "pillar" youre talking about?? GOD this is frutrating me. Been bothering me for years! Ive had the windshield reinstalled by classic car people over and over with new rubber! And i thought the cowl replacement would FINALLY do it and all i have is the same gd issues....soooooooooo frustrating when i have bigger fish to fry on this car. THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Spray and pour a quart of POR-15 in the cowl vent and let it run wherever it wants. Leaks stop and so does rust haha.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
65 FB, v8 conversion in work. 66 SJ FB with unique mods made at LAX
239 Posts
Are you getting water on the driver or passenger side or both?

here’s a link to my A-pillar leak:

the water goes all the way down the pillar, down the dash and drips on the floor.

another source of water can be rotted seals around the steering column or pedals. One of my seals was in great shape but it wasn’t even attached to the firewall. It was pushed all the way through and doing nothing.

my guess on the wires is if you follow those up the kick panel you’ll come to the wiring harness clip that punches through the kick panel as an attachment point. I had a lot of water coming from there. My solution was to pull the fender, push some plumbers putty in the hole on the clip and spray it with flex seal. It worked.

the hinge I’m referring to is the door hinge.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts