Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the fender off on the drivers side to see how much rust I could find. Certainly less than I expected!

I am curious about the rubber plug in the cowl. What purpose did that serve?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I pulled the fender off on the drivers side to see how much rust I could find. Certainly less than I expected!

I wouldn't get too exited until you see what's under that seam sealer ...

I am curious about the rubber plug in the cowl. What purpose did that serve?

Ummm, it plugs a hole ? :) Not quite sure of the purpose for that hole though.

·
Registered
34,460 Posts
Um, yeah, the visible upper half of the cowl was galvanized before it was painted. The lower half, not visible in the photo, was not even painted.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yep, it's a hole plug alright. I could have been for an accessory/lighting that wasn't installed on your car. Or it could be an access hole for any mechanism that is inside the cowl (or for clean-out?).

·
Registered
494 Posts
My guess is the factory used that hole as an access to insert the wand for seam sealer after the two pieces were welded together.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Would've been good if the factory had used that access hole to shoot some paint in there. Our floorpans would have been grateful.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yep, it's a hole plug alright. I could have been for an accessory/lighting that wasn't installed on your car. Or it could be an access hole for any mechanism that is inside the cowl (or for clean-out?).
huh???? lighting??? really??? you think so. show us in the assembly/shop manuals about this. no mechanism inside the cowls either. hole was use in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Would be a good place to permanently stick a shop vac hose in that's pointed at the cowl hats and let the end dangle to the bottom of the fender and hook up for easy cleanouts...

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
My 67 Fastback does not have the hole or the plug. Never noticed one on my coupe either, but don’t have pics of that area handy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts