Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing my floors, and have heard a lot about leaky cowls. How do i test if my cowls are leaky? I would appreciate any pictures or links; I have searched around and I beleive (correct me if im wrong) that the cowl is the region just past the hood, but before the window.
thanks!
~michael

·
Registered
446 Posts
You are correct. Take a bucket of water or a pitcher of water and poor into the cowl. If it leaks into the interior floor, you have leaky cowl. You can get under the dash and take a small look

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha ok well i tried that and of course there is a big leak there. When i look up, there is a big hole there. I remmeber right when i bought the car, and didn't know really anything about cars, i remmeber takin gout a cylindrical rust bucket out from near where i see a hole now, and tossing it. Was that something important that i need to purchase now? also, what does it take to replace the cowl. I keep hearing i need to drill out hundreds of spot welds; I looked a little and didn't see hundreds; im guessing they are on the body of the car underneath the fender, and also if i lift the hood up, under that region. Will i have to replace the cowl cover, as i shall call it, once i drilled out the hundred spot welds? Do i really have to take the windshield off as well? Is there a way of repairing this from underneath as well if i take everything out from underneath? I can take pictures if that helps.
thanks,
~Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts