Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently learned that there is such a thing as a cowl reinforcement bracket that was used in conjunction with the export braces back in the day.

I'm looking to pick one up and just wanted to confirm a few things:

1) Is there a 'good' repro available and a 'bad' one, like the thick and thin export braces?

2) Does this reinforcement somehow match the contour of the firewall, or is it just a piece of angle iron with four holes, in which case $30 sounds a little steep.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I got it from CJ, it was Scott Drake. It has a real, subtle curve to it.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
1) Is there a 'good' repro available and a 'bad' one, like the thick and thin export braces?
No.

2) Does this reinforcement somehow match the contour of the firewall, or is it just a piece of angle iron with four holes, in which case $30 sounds a little steep.

No, it's a compound curve, you can't just brake one up. If you use angle iron, you'll either have to hammer the curves into it, or hammer the cowl straight.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you install the cowl reinforcement, do you have to trim the export brace a little bit? My export brace fits pretty tightly against the cowl.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
If you install the cowl reinforcement, do you have to trim the export brace a little bit? My export brace fits pretty tightly against the cowl.
That's because your car has sagged. The plate is only about 3/32" thick, if that no longer fits you need to put your car on stands placed under the frame rails, below the seats.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you place your car on stands under the frame rails, below the seats, won't that bend up the frame rails? the PO's bent mine up. those rails are not reinforced...

·
Registered
760 Posts
That's because your car has sagged. The plate is only about 3/32" thick, if that no longer fits you need to put your car on stands placed under the frame rails, below the seats.
Well, when I measure the distance from the edge of the bolt hole to the edge of the export brace, and do the same for the bolt hole on the cowl to the upper cowl face (a 69 by the way), they were the same. So I assumed that the export brace was supposed to be a tight fit, hence my question.

I had purchased the cowl reinforcement, but never tried to fit it up until this weekend. On my 69, the front edge of the upper cowl is pretty much vertical. The angle of the cowl reinforcement doesn't match up at all. Are you supposed to use a different part for 69-70's?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I believe it is a reproduction of an original Shelby part (or maybe it was on the export cars too...), regardless, it was developed for a 65 originally.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, when I measure the distance from the edge of the bolt hole to the edge of the export brace, and do the same for the bolt hole on the cowl to the upper cowl face (a 69 by the way), they were the same. So I assumed that the export brace was supposed to be a tight fit, hence my question.

I had purchased the cowl reinforcement, but never tried to fit it up until this weekend. On my 69, the front edge of the upper cowl is pretty much vertical. The angle of the cowl reinforcement doesn't match up at all. Are you supposed to use a different part for 69-70's?
There appears to be different parts for 64-66 and 67-70:
Results for export reinforcement - CJ Pony Parts - Ford Mustang Parts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is it "necessary" to install the reinforcement bracket?
Will I still reap the benefits of running the one-piece export brace if I don't use the reinforcement bracket, or is this a bad idea?
Thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm told by a shop that does race mods that is isn't necessary. Sure, couldn't hurt, but I believe them. However, I'll make one if it turns out I need one. Big washers, bolts that fit (American Made) and my original brace from back in the day, should do just fine.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Is it "necessary" to install the reinforcement bracket?
Will I still reap the benefits of running the one-piece export brace if I don't use the reinforcement bracket, or is this a bad idea?
Thanks
Most people don't. They aren't too expensive and that is how Carroll Shelby did it, so I bought one. I got mine at the big fall sale at one of the vendors which helped too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No.

No, it's a compound curve, you can't just brake one up. If you use angle iron, you'll either have to hammer the curves into it, or hammer the cowl straight.

Is that it on top against the firewall in the picture, what is that all around it, caulk, body filler?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Is that it on top against the firewall in the picture, what is that all around it, caulk, body filler?
No that's not it, the brace mounts under the lip. That looks like someone fixed a hole in the cowl.

As pictured in previous posts it's just a piece of angle iron with a backing plate. The assembly goes: export brace/cowl lip/brace. The 4 export brace bolts go through all 3 layers and the brace is bolted through the firewall and a backing plate is installed from the inside dash area.
Jon

·
Registered
204 Posts
No that's not it, the brace mounts under the lip. That looks like someone fixed a hole in the cowl.

As pictured in previous posts it's just a piece of angle iron with a backing plate. The assembly goes: export brace/cowl lip/brace. The 4 export brace bolts go through all 3 layers and the brace is bolted through the firewall and a backing plate is installed from the inside dash area.
Jon
Hmm. I don't have the extra brace. The shop that put it on a few years ago just put the export brace onto the holes in the firewall. I guess that I should fix that before I develop cracks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts