Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to tackle the cowl patches, and i was just wondering if anyone has a picture of some sort of where all the spot welds are.

also is there a special drill bit or something to drill out the spot welds so you dont end up drilling through the lower cowl also???? or is it just a very slow process?

thanks in advance

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Eastwood and plenty of other vendors make spotweld cutters. As far as where are all of the spotwelds? I think that by the time they were done cutting them all out, no one had enough brain cells left to think of mapping them all out. I am hoping to undertake this task myself soon. I'm not looking forward to it...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If youre going to replace much metal on a mustang, the "weld and sealant manual" for your mustang would be an excellent investment.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
http://www.obsidianspider.com/vmf/graemlins/bow.gif

Thanks for the great writeup. If I can get my butt in gear to do more on my fastback I hope to have writeups like that on my site...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Consider buying extra cutters (they come in packs of 3) for the Blair tool. When you first start using it you'll likely break a few getting the hang of it. I used a shot of WD-40 on the blade regularly to help the cutting got smoothly.
Don't force the cutter, they are brittle. You'll recognize just how deep to cut after a few. If/when you do go all the way through both sheets of steel don't panic, you can plug it up with a MIG when you reattach the cowl top.

When you get the cowl off and repairs done then you may want to paint/undercoat all surfaces to keep problems from returning.

It's not a hard job, but it is a PITA, and well worth the effort when you do it right. Take pictures so you can prove it was done right if you ever sell the car.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You can simply purchase a 3/8" square tip dewalt drill bit from Lowes or simlar. They are about 3 bucks each and I used only 2 on cutting spot welds on my entire car (cowl, quarters, trunk pans, frame rails, torque boxes, seat pans, floor pans, engine bay aprons...

Nice thing about the dewalt bit as it has a self centering 1/16" starting tip. Simply dimply the center of the spot weld with your punch and have at it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Dayum Frank! I never saw your pages before. I'm gonna use 'em for reference on my floorboards...if/when it gets warm out again :pissed:

I definitely agree about buying an extra set of cutters. I also used a small 1/16 drill bit to drill a pilot hole so the cutter won't skip out. It doesn't take long before the pilot on the cutter gets dull.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
...if/when it gets warm out again
Yeah - I want to pull the front and back glass, headliner to put in upper seat belt brackets but can't find the ambition to go out into the cold garage to do it.

Maybe I can talk you into giving me a hand (hint!) :biggrin:. I do have a heater that will get us into shirtsleeves!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts