Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new upper & lower cowl vent for my 66 coupe, but I need to remove the old one first. I'm really looking forward to drilling out all the spot welds. :loco:

Probably a stupid question but I have to ask!

Before I try to remove the old cowl, do I need to put the whole car on (4) jack stands, or can it be left on the tires while I drill out and remove the old cowl?

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
I would support the car in more than 4 places.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I just got a new upper & lower cowl vent for my 66 coupe, but I need to remove the old one first. I'm really looking forward to drilling out all the spot welds. :loco:

Before I try to remove the old cowl, do I need to put the whole car on (4) jack stands, or can it be left on the tires while I drill out and remove the old cowl?

You're going to get a lot of answers here. Mine went in fine with 4 tires on the ground, and the engine in. At the end of the day, I think the reasonable answer is based on how much rot your firewall, side cowls, rockers and torque boxes have. If none, I think you will be fine.

EDIT: I had the engine out, and boxes replaced already.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it matters, my mustang is pretty much whole still. Windshield to headlights was taken off, engine removed (tranny still in though).

I had to go double check.. but I just realized there are no torque boxes. :skullnbones:
There's some rust on the side cowls, firewall is fine. No clue about the condition of the rockers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are those who will say otherwise, but I agree with brainstrange. The cowl is a structural element, but I replaced mine with all wheels on the ground, engine removed and no supports.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If it matters, my mustang is pretty much whole still. Windshield to headlights was taken off, engine removed (tranny still in though).

I had to go double check.. but I just realized there are no torque boxes. :skullnbones:
There's some rust on the side cowls, firewall is fine. No clue about the condition of the rockers.
Cars without torque boxes put more strain in this area. In that case, I'd at least support the center, near the front of the rockers with a couple of jacks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is on my todo list too. What spot weld cutters are working the best for you?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I've tried a bunch, and these are by far the best. Last the longest (more welds), cut fast (stay sharp), and they're pretty cheap. I bought three, and like I said I'm still going on the first side of my first one, it's probably just about time to turn it around though.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Never hurts to have the extra support under the car. It's to late once you get everything welded in and have problems with body alignment. Not that much trouble to be cautious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts