Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hate to sound ignorant but Ive never done a cowl repair before. How do i get to the cowl area to repair it? Cut into it? Am i missing something obvious?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Hi Bill – Welcome to the forum! Fill out your bio a bit more so we can all know more about you. You never know – you might live next to one of us! ;)

Need a little more info about your cowl... First of all, what year is your car? And secondly – how badly is it leaking? If it's just a few pin holes, you can use one of the inexpensive plastic top hat kits. If there's just nothing left of it, you're looking at many hours of work.

The cowl is attached around its lip with hundreds of spot welds. Each and every one of these must be drilled out before the top section can be lifted off. If this is indeed what you're looking at, I would suggest a search (of this forum) to see what others have said in the past. Many folks here have had to make this repair and there's more info than can be conveyed in just this post.

Good luck to you – and I hope it's the minor repair! :p

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
hate to sound ignorant but Ive never done a cowl repair before. How do i get to the cowl area to repair it? Cut into it? Am i missing something obvious?
A full-up cowl repair is NOT for the casual or fainthearted. If you are new to the vintage Mustang game, strongly recommend you read all you can and consult a multitude of experts before attempting.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do i get to the cowl area to repair it? Cut into it? Am i missing something obvious?
The September issue of Mustang Monthly Mag also shows this in the "How-to" section. Looks waaayyy too complicated for me... glad I don't need to! :: Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnaks to everyone for the responses. I dont know how bad its leaking because i've never had it in the rain. However, if its anything like the rest of the rust on the car, it may not be there at all anymore. I've done some daily driver type restorations but nothing that involved this must metal cancer before. I am taking a body shop class at a local community college starting next month. While the results probably wont be great the first time, I will learn the basics of how the process works and i will improve each time. In the end I will be able to say I did it all myself. Time to go buy that spot weld bit.
Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
WHOA LEMONDROP!!! I though my cowls looked bad!!! I just finished mine up, but they where nowhere near as bad as yours. Did you end up doing the sides of the cowl? that was about the only place mine were rusted out. Hopefully you have already finished them up, it has been about the worst part I have had to do so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts