Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I use pop-rivets instead of welding... That was suggested to me...and I thought, WHY NOT!? If yes/no, please also state why.... THANKS!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea. First, you are going to have to cut out a ton of spot welds, which will leave holes that must be welded up. Secondly, when you got to put it back together, there are 3 layers of metal that are going to have to be attached together, and it will be hard to line them all up. Last, if you rivet them, you are going to have lap them, which will block water flow, in addition to not allowing the upper cowl section to lay flush. With as much work as it is to open it all up, you really don't want to skimp on replacing them. Also, this is pretty high stress structural area, so welding is really the only way to go.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Calm down, only sounded like a good idea: Good for nothing? No, they support just as much as spot welds, or more (Pops can be made of steel and other alloys, not just aluminum) I didn't see how it'd be half assed, but I'll check that website and see if it's put together how I thought...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And about lapping them... That guy's website uses a lap-weld which in my opinion ends up looking a lot like a rivet... If it's not good, I won't do it, I just want to know why...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Its not a good idea, as the cowl, and the cover itself is part of the structural integrity (sp) of the car. I didnt look, but if his welds look like rivits, thats all they have in common..a weld is when 2 pieces of metal is fused together..much stronger than a rivit, which as stated, has a tendency to loosen over time.I have seen your previous posts, and know you are looking for a way to get the job done, doing it yourself (tear down, prep..etc),and that you dont have a welder, but if you have patients, you will find a friend of a friend of a friend :: who you will be able to hire very resonably to weld it back in..there is always someone out there willing to lend a hand..maybe another VMF'er in the area? Good luck.

Joe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Christ folks, I'm not lazy, I was only asking a question because I DIDNT KNOW! Isn't that why we ask questions? For all I knew before asking, rivets could work BETTER... thanks for people who understood this...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Calm down Wulf :p ::..I dont believe anyone thought you was trying for the lazy way out. ( at least I didnt..I have read the previous posts and understand the reason for the question)I think everyone answered your question and gave an explination like you asked. There is areas on the car where pop rivits will work to hold a patch (though welding is the prefered method)its just that the cowl isnt one of them.And your right..this is why we ask the questions...sounds like you are in the middle of major work (sounds like the same point Im at ::)Keep the questions coming..It saves me time asking... :: :eek: ::

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts