Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car down to a bare shell right now. There is nothing bolted, screwed or otherwise fastened to my shell. I have the trunk floors out. I have the upper and most of the lower cowl out as well. Thoughts on the car being on a rotisserie with the cowl off please. TIA

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Though I would think the firewall would do a fairly good job of holding things together, I would still weld a piece of steel from one side of where the cowl would be to the other side. Ditto for the rear where the trunk floors go. Bracing can never hurt.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
personally i would be more concerned about not having a trunk floor. As long as you have a fire wall. I did mine with the cowl top off. The lower cowl probably only provides extra bracing between the cowl side panels and the firewall. With the top off the rest of the cowl really isn't connected to anything. Do you have some pictures?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Looks good so far Pat.

I'm almost done with mine. I'll be putting the top on this weekend or earlier.

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Pat,
I'd finish the cowl repairs (both top and bottom, and then consider putting it on a rotisserie. The flat bars in the back that you used for bracing are not strong enough (IMHO); I'd recommend 1x1" square tubing.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Midlife said:
Pat,
I'd finish the cowl repairs (both top and bottom, and then consider putting it on a rotisserie. The flat bars in the back that you used for bracing are not strong enough (IMHO); I'd recommend 1x1" square tubing.
Ditto. Definitely use square stock or pipe, no sheet metal of any sort, it could twist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Randy,
You bring up a point that I struggle with. I really want to blast the back of the dash as it has some mild surface rust. If the cowl is in this makes it nearly impossible to do so. I guess I could blast in two different stages but that means doing everything twice which is a pita. Ideas? Thanks all for the replies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more thing I will do is cut out the flat bar and weld in some 1x1 tubing, thanks for the tip

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Pat, if the back of the dash is truly only surficial rust, then apply Rust Encapsulator or similar rust converter. It's not like this side of the dash is seen, and the converters do work well. No need to blast every bit of surface rust. I did this to Midlife, and unless this area will be exposed to moisture (it shouldn't, dammit!), that is sufficient.

If you really want to sand blast it, why not do it now? Putting it on a rotisserie isn't going to make that job easier, but rather harder.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I don't see a real reason to leave the lower cowl out. I would weld it back in to support the corners. Not that i think its going to go any where but just for peace of mind. The top on the other hand i would leave off especially if you are going to do any sand blasting that way you don't have to worry about cleaning it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts