Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should finish my cowl patch this weekend. Any better ideas out there on sealing the inside other than rubberized undercoating? Was kinda thinking about some of the truckbedding stuff then paint it...... whats the thoughts?

Ken
99' GTP
97 Yukon
70 T-bird
68 mustang gt convert

G

·
0 Posts
Rubberized undercoating doesn't stick that well to rusty metal IIRC. Something like POR-15, Zero Rust or similar would be better IMO. If the rubberized undercoating will stick to the rust paint then it could be the top coat. Best way is to try it on a piece and see how it works. Also if the metal is cold it won't stick either.

Adrien.

G

·
0 Posts
I've never had to do this but most people rave about POR 15 and I've read that it's been used to prevent the cowl rust from coming back.

There's been alot written about cowl repair in the old forum. Do a search there for cowl and you'll undoubtedly find info on POR 15. You'll probably also find posts saying not to use the rubberized undercoating because it will trap any moisture already present and cause rust.

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply... Not to concerned about the existing rust.... we've cut that out and put in the new repair kits so I've got new metal to work with... But , thats interesting about the undercoating not sticking to cold metal.... never heard of that. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, It took 32 years for it to leak the 1st time and even then it was only pin holes. but while I had dash,windshield etc. out of it .It only made sense to fix it right ...and now. Besides it'll seldom if ever set outside again.....

Ken

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Well, I am performing a 'cowl on' sealing job on my project. I am cleaning out the area with laquer thinner, and applying 3m 08551 auto windshield sealer. It comes in a 6 oz tube. I get the sealant in there using some windshield washer hose on the end of the tube and some bailing wire is used for the guide. Driver's side is done, passenger side will be compeleted this weekend. The sealer dries clear and is fairly pliable. I believe I used 2 1/2 tubes ont he driver's side. It is about $8.00 a tube.

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

G

·
0 Posts
I didn't know it was bare metal. It's the rust paint that doesn't work if it's too cold. It has to react with the rust. As far as the cowl, I don't know if undercoating is self etching so that it will stick to bare metal. The undercoating I used seemed to scrape off pretty easy where as the Zero Rust paint is hard to scrape off. The cowl is a nasty area for rust because it gets wet and stays wet! If it was me I would probably use a coat of Zero Rust and then a coat of their sealer and then if the undercoat is compatible a coat of that...but that's just me. Maybe throw this Q on the board again...
Adrien.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess thats why I was brainstorming the truckbedliner stuff. they say you can put it over rust, bare metal etc. and Its plyable, waterproof and not suppose to crack . I do plan on putting a coat of primer on the bare metal , I just wonderd if anybody had ever tried it..... and what kind of results they had?

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, I had originally tried to do that type of repair too. I had even gone under the dash and used that rubber stuff you use on the handles of tools etc. worked pretty good. Actually thought I'd done a pretty good job. But, I was sitting there with the windshield out, dash out , fenders off etc. and I just decided that I didn't want to come back in 2 yrs and take everything apart again , so I went ahead and openned it up. boy was I glad I did...... my patch job wouldn't have lasted long....you'd be amazed what you can't see!
don't know what your's is like....... just food for thought

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts