Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right-o....question for all you experts out there....

I have pulled the cowl off my '65, and am cleaning up the vents, rust protecting, painting etc etc etc. Now, it seems to me that no matter how much rust proofing gets done, there will still be about 200 places that will not be protected - each and every spot weld that gets welded up!!

So - the question here is - what can be done to protect these areas? - they aren't exactly easy to get to once the cowl is back in position - so, what has been done by you guys & gals? This was briefly touched on in a post the other day, but answers were sketchy.

So - who has used what products?? What sort of results were achieved?? Anyone done any tests to see if their body shop has used a product that would actually work (i.e. welded together some test pieces to see what the result would be)??

Thanks in advance.

J.B.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
There is a product called WELD THRU coating you apply it to both parts before welding it back together and it gives excellent rust protection in the weld areas,,it is avaiable at most parts stores( O'reillys Napa Etc)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
James - As Robbie said, Weld-Thru primer is about the only product that will get the job done. I have no idea if it is sold at automotive parts and supply stores down under, but I'll bet it can be purchased through a mail-order place like Eastwood.

That having been said, it is unlikely that you'll ever get more than surface rust on those welds, anyway. The typical rust-through areas would be right around those "top hat" vents in the bottom of the cowl and the floor and sides of the plenum just outboard of the vents.

Unless you live near the ocean, where salt air is a problem, I wouldn't worry about anything but the floor of the cowl and the sides just above the floor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree that you probably don't need to worry about the areas of weld themselves....obviously Ford didn't. Even weld through primer will burn off in the immediate area of the weld. As long as you seam seal and paint as good as possible, it will last as long as any of the rest of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts