Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cowl vent leak...I know I know...enough said. My car was restored by someone else, and they did a great job. But, they skipped some important details, like replacing the darn cowl vent! Mine just barely drips, so I am going to try the top hat looking things. Any tips, tricks, or advice to help? I don't have the time and money to tear the vent apart...the paint is so nice also. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
First of all - before you place the plastic tophats - clean, clean clean! Use your fingers or compressed air or fabricate your own tool; but get the inside of the vent area cleaned of all the crud.

Once it's cleaned and dry, you should seal the metal the best you can. It won't be easy (since it'll still be enclosed), but you need to stop the deterioration as much as you can. Again, fabricate a tool. I've made a tiny sheperd's staff in the past, so I could paint along the inside rim of the metal tophat.

Corroless is my favorite rust-stopper; then follow with the best coat of spray paint as you can manage.

If you can see the rust holes in the tophat area, you may want to apply a few fiberglass patches. Then, when you're finally ready to install your plastic tophats, don't skimp on the silicone goo. Really glob it on there so that it oozes out when the tophat is wedged in place.

That's about the best you can do without taking everything apart. But if you go slowly and pay close attention to detail, a patch like this can last for many years. Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure your cowl vent drains are clear. Mine were plugged with crud. As soon as I cleared them my leaks stopped. I'm sure I still have some pin hole leaks but the water now flows so quickly out the drain that it doesn't have time to settle into the interior. You might try this first...you never know. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts