Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a '65, what should a typical cowl repair cost. Mine leaks a little and since I am putting floor pans in, I guess I should fix the cowl the correct way instead of silicon.

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
I've been quoted $800 to $1200 for my 66. I have drilled out about 1/2 of my spot welds so far and am going to do it myself.
Dan

every man must have a toy
98 Dodge Ram (mobile tool box)
97 Grand Cherokee (family hauler)
66 Coupe 289/c-4 (The Other Woman)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
To do it yourself will cost about $100 for the two patch panels, plus some more for sealer, paints, and a windshield gasket. However, there is the air compressor, air tools, mig welder, right angle grinder, and other less-expensive tools necessary to perform the operation. Of course, you can use the tools for future repairs and projects. Faced with the same situation, I did it myself and am happy with the result.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i just finished/my cowl bad top and bottom/found better 1 on parts car nearby/cut out/still had to put bottom panels in and just laid cowl back on car last nite/what ajob/maybe consider cowl cover/or cowl repair kit for bottom repair in car/prob a 100 spot welds to remove/sorry/good luck/think cowl cover/

neverending

G

·
0 Posts
I was quoted $1200 for the drilling method from a reputable shop. I have been putting the job off, but I've decided NOT to go the spot weld drilling route. I am sold on cutting a hole in the top cowl panel and going in that way. It sure looks like an easier way to me. What do you think???? Would like feedback on this from someone who's done it. The method is detailed here....http://personal.ecu.edu/boydd/cowl.html

66 Pony Coupe, auto, 289

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
is the car bad enough where u really need to go into the cowl/mine was shot top/bottom/im not so sure i would want to do another 1 personally/1200.00is alot of money even 4 this/a friend of a friend did it the way u r thinking/he has done it both ways/your poss way he gave edge //gary s.

neverending

G

·
0 Posts
I repaired the cowl on my `66 last year and spent 2 days drilling out the spot welds - verses opening part of the cowl as some suggested and doing a partial repair.In my instance this was the best way to do it as I found other problem areas that I was able to repair verses having to open this area again sometime in the future.

G

·
0 Posts
I just did my 68 that was really much worse under the cowl than I had expected. I used the inner patch panels and still had to add about 8 inches of sheet metal to the flat section closer to the middle. If your already doing other welding to sheet metal you should be able to do this. I used the spot weld cutters from eastwood. They worked great.

Jeff Crumpley
Austin, Texas
68 302 j-code coupe
99 5.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer

G

·
0 Posts
Did this on my 67 coupe. It is definitely not an easy job, but I agree with BF. For the amount of cash that it would take to have a shop do it, you can get both panels, a decent garage MIG and all other tools that you need. In addition, you get the satisfaction that you did it yourself. I also ended up replacing a section of the firewall that had some cancer. Chances are pretty good that the little piece of fender apron on each side will be destroyed when removed. I wouldnt do this unless you like getting dirty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts