Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a coyote in my engine bay for a while and I loved it. Wanted to go a step further and put in this Voodoo. Same suspension as the coyote and the coyote went easily into my 1970 F250. I used AJE Racing parts since they make it easy to use your own parts with theirs to make it very custom to your needs and keep costs down. Salvage yard ‘03 Cobra parts are used for spindles, brakes, rack, hydro boost, power steering pump, IRS, driveshaft. Made my own bracing to keep the loads directed into the firewall. Because there is adjustability, I was able to attain ‘03 Cobra alignment front and back. Btw, AJE folks were awesome to deal with. I did use a T56 Magnum XL which put the shifter further back and is perfect for me. I did cut the tunnel to make room but because I wanted a better engine angle. Coil overs are used on all four corners so I can change spring preload. I know this is polarizing to folks, but I’ve had a blast with this car and simply love to drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a coyote in my engine bay for a while and I loved it. Wanted to go a step further and put in this Voodoo. Same suspension as the coyote and the coyote went easily into my 1970 F250. I used AJE Racing parts since they make it easy to use your own parts with theirs to make it very custom to your needs and keep costs down. Salvage yard ‘03 Cobra parts are used for spindles, brakes, rack, hydro boost, power steering pump, IRS, driveshaft. Made my own bracing to keep the loads directed into the firewall. Because there is adjustability, I was able to attain ‘03 Cobra alignment front and back. Btw, AJE folks were awesome to deal with. I did use a T56 Magnum XL which put the shifter further back and is perfect for me. I did cut the tunnel to make room but because I wanted a better engine angle. Coil overs are used on all four corners so I can change spring preload. I know this is polarizing to folks, but I’ve had a blast with this car and simply love to drive it.

Did you buy the AJE sub-frame for the rear and bolt up the 03 IRS (I'm assuming not)? Or did you have to fabricate to make that work?
I didn't think there would be enough room for that whole unit.

I'm interested to hear more about the IRS install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you buy the AJE sub-frame for the rear and bolt up the 03 IRS (I'm assuming not)? Or did you have to fabricate to make that work?
I didn't think there would be enough room for that whole unit.

I'm interested to hear more about the IRS install.
PM sent. Had to fabricate though I’ve seen a kit out there that uses brackets and makes it simple. I wanted mine to sit up higher in the car so the rear could be lower while the control arms were parallel to the ground. It was an inexpensive way to dramatically increase the handling of the car and improve braking while also being able to use parts I can get just about anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
PM sent. Had to fabricate though I’ve seen a kit out there that uses brackets and makes it simple. I wanted mine to sit up higher in the car so the rear could be lower while the control arms were parallel to the ground. It was an inexpensive way to dramatically increase the handling of the car and improve braking while also being able to use parts I can get just about anywhere.

Yes, thank you for the reply and the txt. Greatly, greatly appreciate it.

I did find the kit you were referencing...$3K for brackets.
Not saying he's a bad guy and his R&D time isn't worth money...buuuuuuut...Unless I read his site in correctly, I'm not looking to buy brackets and bolts for $3K.

Again, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, thank you for the reply and the txt. Greatly, greatly appreciate it.

I did find the kit you were referencing...$3K for brackets.
Not saying he's a bad guy and his R&D time isn't worth money...buuuuuuut...Unless I read his site in correctly, I'm not looking to buy brackets and bolts for $3K.

Again, thank you for the info.
Yes the brackets but I believe you also get some really high quality Koni coilover shocks, last time I looked years ago. That makes it a better deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes the brackets but I believe you also get some really high quality Koni coilover shocks, last time I looked years ago. That makes it a better deal.

Ah, yes...I did forget that. I wasn't overly concerned with them as I wanted to go a different route. Maybe he'd come down on the price enough if I opted out of the konis :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Anyone able to use a brake booster with a coyote?
I am using a hydroboost system from Hydratech. Not cheap and it does clear the Coyote in my setup. Hydratech took the approach to make a cantilever assembly to place the HB and MC above and to the sides of the DS head. It takes up a bunch of room, take a look in my build thread with the link in my signature below. I am still in the build phase and I have only mocked up the HB to verify clearance. Since my purchase, Hydratech increased the cost by about $200, so it it almost $1500 now. However, when Revology was selling their kit, it was $1900 as I recall. The Hydratech system can only be used if the shock towers are eliminated. The is another guy here, 1badcat, that has a Cougar where he made up his own solution.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Anyone able to use a brake booster with a coyote?
I'm using an 03 mustang cobra hydroboost in my swap.

Here's one I found a while back using a Boss 429 reproduction brake booster

·
Registered
58 Posts
Manual brakes work very well. I run a small Wilwood MS with 98 Cobra 4 wheel discs and car stops great. Mustangs to Fear also has a small MS as well. Does feel different when using the brakes, meaning a little more leg effort, but nothing that would ever make me say one is better than the other. Especially when you can't fit a booster and/or dont want to spend thousands on another means of brake assist. Just make sure you have a manual brake pedal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coyote Builds

I have two Coyote builds in process for a 66 Convertible and a 65 Fastback. Both vehicles will have a T56. I enjoy the challenge learning as I go.

Hello.... I'm also working on a 66 Coyote + 6R80 swap. It looks like you went with the Heidts Pro G front suspension. A couple questions for you..... Where did you relocate the alternator and what type of headers did you go with? My project has been on hold for 2 years not but I'm going to start up again and hopefully finish...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hello.... I'm also working on a 66 Coyote + 6R80 swap. It looks like you went with the Heidts Pro G front suspension. A couple questions for you..... Where did you relocate the alternator and what type of headers did you go with? My project has been on hold for 2 years not but I'm going to start up again and hopefully finish...
I am doing a Coyote and 6R80 swap into a 70 Mach 1. I went with the Total Control Products full front clip, shock tower delete, and suspension. In my case, no need to relocate the OEM mounted alternator. However, I did make a notch or relief in the DS frame rail ahead of the A-arm mount to facilitate alternator removal. The body does extend a bit past the frame rail, but the widest point is also well above it. If you have time, take a look a my build thread for reference. In conversing with Huntingky who used the Heights swap component, our frame rails are at the same width. So where your particular swap components place the engine could be a factor.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah, cold start and high RPM conditions worried me for smoking, so I built those. So far, so good, at least on cold start/warm start there is zero smoke out of the car.
I can't imagine the effort to put a coyote into a first gen mustang but looking at the pictures in the posts I have to say that you guys do some incredible work. ..........A little side note have a friend who purchased a 2017 Shelby cobra Vert new and started adding to it all most as soon as he got it. Broke it severely in about a year . Per him extremely hard to find anyone who will work on them & ungodly money. $12,000 in the first build & trashed -- builder used incorrect valve springs. Talked to him about a month ago & he said probably 1ooo rwhp or better. With the 2nd build. So even as tough as they are supposed to be they will & do break

·
Registered
41 Posts
Greetings Umacino,
My story: 65 Mustang with Gen-II swap - Pro G Heidts IFS and IRS, T56 trans however. But for headers I used the custom Heidts offering. At the time I could not find any others that specifically guaranteed fitment with the Pro G IFS. Alternator is an issue. You may be able to modify the left frame rail to make the stock location work, but I did not want to go that route. I also plan on utilizing power steering, AC and a Super Charger. I went with a front runner setup from Power By The Hour (PBH). Their low profile unit tucks the PS pump tight where the alternator would go, AC in factory location and alternator on the upper right (passenger side) facing backwards. This is really close to the Heidts front drive setup (which I don’t believe is available now) however, the PBH setup is also designed to facilitate any of three or more SC units.
I started my project back in 2015ish. Body shop has held it hostage since last year - COVID didn't help. Should be back in my shop in Oct so I can start final assembly.

Cheers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greetings Umacino,
My story: 65 Mustang with Gen-II swap - Pro G Heidts IFS and IRS, T56 trans however. But for headers I used the custom Heidts offering. At the time I could not find any others that specifically guaranteed fitment with the Pro G IFS. Alternator is an issue. You may be able to modify the left frame rail to make the stock location work, but I did not want to go that route. I also plan on utilizing power steering, AC and a Super Charger. I went with a front runner setup from Power By The Hour (PBH). Their low profile unit tucks the PS pump tight where the alternator would go, AC in factory location and alternator on the upper right (passenger side) facing backwards. This is really close to the Heidts front drive setup (which I don’t believe is available now) however, the PBH setup is also designed to facilitate any of three or more SC units.
I started my project back in 2015ish. Body shop has held it hostage since last year - COVID didn't help. Should be back in my shop in Oct so I can start final assembly.

Cheers.
What modifications did you have to make to the trans tunnel?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Regarding headers, Heights has their own that works with their Coyote swap front suspension.

I used the Ultimate Headers 471071 headers and low profile clamps, about $1500 all in but not coated. So on the expensive side but worked great with my Total Control Products front clip.
I worked with Ultimate Headers in developing a header that works with 1st Gen Mustang Coyote swaps as well as with late model cars. The headers fit very well to the Coyote and easily clear the Mustang frame rails. Only modification I needed to make was the addition of a intermediate bearing in the steering to work around the headers. I am not sure any of the Coyote swaps would give you a straight shot with the steering shaft from the firewall to the steering rack.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What modifications did you have to make to the trans tunnel?
I chose to raise mine about an inch from firewall to behind the shifter opening. I then modified and created a removable plate around the shifter area to facilitate removing or installing the T56 shifter assembly while the trans is in the car. I cant smartly comment on a 6R80 swap but would think regardless of front cradle setup tunnel modification would be required.
With the Heidts IFS/Pro G setup and T56 option you can get by with just modifying the underside tunnel brace but it was still too tight in my opinion - especially depending on your engine angle etc. - of which I wanted no more than 3 degrees. It’s been done many ways, it all comes down to personal desire and or how much you do or don’t want to modify your car.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts