Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah, I love the Trans Am look too. 18x8 front and 18x10 rear for my ride. I had a great experience working with Scott as it was the first time I had order custom back spacing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well I've been trying to find some tires to mount on my wheels when they arrive so I can move the car around easier once it comes off the rotisserie. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any used ones to fit due to the size. I attended an auction last weekend that included some Continental race rains that would work and after sitting there for 6 hours waiting for them to hit the block they ended up selling for $130 each but you had to buy the whole lot of 12 tires. Just a little too much for tires that I don't "need". Anyhow I found brand new ones direct from hoosier for $94/each, freight included so when my new wheels show up this week I'll get them mounted. Guess I need to get the rotisserie work done so I can get this thing on the ground.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Good news and bad news: The new LT3's were waiting on me when I got home!!! Woohoo! The bad news: on it's initial use yesterday my brand new lift emitted MASSIVE quantities of magic smoke from the motor. Booo! New motor/pump on the way and taking the LT3's and Continentals to Big O to get them mounted and balanced. Pictures forthcoming.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Got a link for the tires?

Well I've been trying to find some tires to mount on my wheels when they arrive so I can move the car around easier once it comes off the rotisserie. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any used ones to fit due to the size. I attended an auction last weekend that included some Continental race rains that would work and after sitting there for 6 hours waiting for them to hit the block they ended up selling for $130 each but you had to buy the whole lot of 12 tires. Just a little too much for tires that I don't "need". Anyhow I found brand new ones direct from hoosier for $94/each, freight included so when my new wheels show up this week I'll get them mounted. Guess I need to get the rotisserie work done so I can get this thing on the ground.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Sorry, no pics today but I did want to give a shout out to Moser Engineering. I took off last thursday to run up to ypsilanti to pick up a complete tri-power for my Galaxie project. For reasons I'm too lazy to go into I wanted to redrill the axles in my versailles rearend to accept chevy 4 3/4" bolt circle wheels.

The night before I looked on the map to set up the route to ypsilanti and noticed that Moser's office wasn't too far off the track so at the last minute loaded up the axles and rotors intent on dropping them off on the way. We arrived at Moser around 9 a.m. and I talked to the service manager and he asked me if was just going to hang around the shop until they were done or if I would be back to pick them up later that day! I fully expected "2 to 3 weeks" and really hadn't planned on returning that day and told him I wasn't sure we'd be able to make it back by quitting time. He said no sweat and told me where they would leave my parts in case I didn't make it back. I told him that I didn't want any special treatment to meet my schedule and he said since I went to the trouble of delivering them personally he'd make sure they were ready for me when we got back.

So big shout out to Moser for going out of the way, something that is truly rare in today's world!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Been busy remodeling the kitchen so haven't had time to work on the car in a while but I did pick up my engines from the machine shop yesterday. The shortblock is a toned down hot rod motor that I bought from a kid several years ago. He had built it to 10.5:1 compression using '69 351W heads that have had some serious work done to them. He had a wild 303 cam in it with a tremec behind it. I'm installing it in our cruiser '89 GT Convertible so I toned down the cam but other than that it will go into the car as built originally but I had them tear it down, inspect it and reassemble it for me since I've had so much to do.

The long block is the engine I had in my last race car, 351W, 12.5:1 TRW pistons, fully balanced some kind of cam that I can't remember much about other than .650 lift. The heads are K302 Motorsports that have been ported on both sides. The intake is a design that I wasn't aware of until recently and it's a dual plane air gap intake that should provide the benefits of both types of intakes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow! By my count you’re working on three cars and a kitchen. Do you sleep? I need to start eating whatever you eat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Damn, do you make your living racing?

Mark
No although I was offered a position with Panther Racing a few years back (more like 20, admit it you're getting old). Operations Manager at a moderately sized hospital. (I make sure the lights work and toilets go down instead of up).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Wow! By my count you’re working on three cars and a kitchen. Do you sleep? I need to start eating whatever you eat.

You've been paying attention! We finished the kitchen up about a month ago so I've got some "spare" time now to do fun stuff! Right now my biggest hindrance is the weather; I need temp and humidity to repaint the bottom of the racecar so I can get the suspension bolted back on and get it on the ground to start putting the driveline in it.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts