Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone follow me yesterday and he claimed my stang was crabbing with a 2" or 3" offset to the right. He insisted that older leaf spring cars often suffer from this when the rear end slips on the springs.

I looked at the rear tires v. body (in the garage, not on the road) and the rear end seems centered. Any thoughts?

65 FB

G

·
0 Posts
When you eye-balled the axle were you standing behind it? I don't think that will show anything. You'll have to check whether one side of the axle has moved forward on it's spring as compared to the other side, or backward for that matter. The car won't crabwalk if the axle is shifted laterally, has to be skewed (rotated).

Ollie

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
It would be hard for the axle to "slip" because it sits on a pin that keeps it where it needs to be. At least that's how my 66 is. I suppose that pin could break. I would suggest you carefully measure the axle location on both sides w/r/t the leaf spring.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Bent frame?

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

1 - 6 of 6 Posts