Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a GT40P swap in my 66. The two front intake bolts broke off while I was disassembling the engine. I got one side drilled out ok. I had to gently tap the remainder of the bolt out after I drilled. It worked out fine. The other side, I cracked when I was attempting to get the bolt out. :(

It's the very front of the engine, the outermost tab. I think I screwed the pooch on this one, big time. Is this repairable?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I know this might not be conventional, but you could always weld that crack given it’s location.
The risk you run is that it leaks somewhere else.
Worst case is you have to pull the head back off once you run it.
I would try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Dimples
4,853 Posts
Yup, they’re too cheap and plentiful to roll the dice on a fix like that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to find a replacement? I'm in Roanoke, Va and can't find any.

·
Dimples
4,853 Posts
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to find a replacement? I'm in Roanoke, Va and can't find any.
I don’t know what to tell you man. Come to pretty much any salvage yard in North Texas and take your pick.

·
Premium Member
12,048 Posts
I found a Mercury Mountaineer in a P-N-P that had a complete GT40P in it. I assumed they would want to sell the complete engine and not part it out but I was wrong. All I bought was the block. The remainder of the engine went in the scrap bin. I'm not kidding you- they told me to throw everything else in the scrap bin. That tells you how valuable the heads and everything else is.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
yes you can repair that crack, but in the end you would be better off searching up the swap meets for someone that bought early aftermarket heads and is now upgrading to more modern versions. you should be able to buy good used aftermarket heads fairly cheap these days. or you might find those GT40 heads that you want.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Here I am out in right field again but hey, I'm thinking I would just run it - especially if bucks are an issue. The cracks are above most of the threads, what's the worst that can happen (assuming your Karma isn't kinked), the peice breaks off, there is still a lot of thread depth, its not a sealing surface and the cracks are thin metal. you could consider breaking the peice off, take a die grinder and round/smooth the surface just past the deepest crack so there is no sharp crack left to propagate in the metal and run it. You could also V grind the cracks and weld them if you or a friend can weld and grind it flat again if it is a front surface but if its at the rear of the motor and from what I am seeing and unless there is something I am missing, its not structural. Its not THAT big a deal to pull it if it doesn't work and the worst case I can see (assuming your Karma isn't kinked e.g. manifold leak starts a fire inside the firewall and the car burns to the ground) is a leaky exhaust manifold if the stud pulls, but it will still get you home...

You do have a good excuse now to start looking for a set of aluminum heads...

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I'm with Dobrostang on this. Drill the rest of the bolt out and clean up the threads. If they are a little suspect, use some Loctite Thread Repair and put a stud in place.

If you're really bothered by it, search your local dismantlers on Car-Part

...or pick up a reman head from any auto parts store.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I had a 289 head that had one of the holes for the intake bolt completely break. I took it to a welder, and he welded a stud on there that was cut to the correct length to allow me to install the intake and use a nut to tighten it down. I ran it like that for years without an issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up purchasing a reman'd head. I dont want to have to worry about this for many years! Thanks everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts