Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '65 289 2-V has a crack in the left exhaust manifold. What is the best replacement? Solid original (very old) manifold or an aftermarket replacement? Any recommendations as to manufacturers or sources of replacement will be appreciated. I don't want to replace it again.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
me 4 a set of headers!

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you aren't concerned about original and don't mind spending some bux, a set of shorty or mid headers could be installed by a muffler shop for $250-350.

If you want cheap, PM me about the 289 2V exhaust manifolds I have on the heap.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I picked up a good set of used originals on eBay for $42.00 delivered.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen on my 65. I already had duals on it, so I bought a set of long Hedman Headers for about $120 from Summit and they fit much better than the 2 sets of Tri-Y's I have used on my other Mustang. It only took about 3 hours to install, and they fit perfectly. I cut the head pipes, welded on the collectors and I was styling......

Gary

http://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1090970938.JPG

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
I replaced my right side exhaust manifold (A code 1966 289) from VA Classics, and never had a problem with leaks and such. The repro manifolds appear to be very good matches. I still have the left side (I bought the pair), but I'm likely to replace my left side once I get to the engine detailing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a set of good used Hi-Po cast-iron manifolds that'd bolt up to your engine. You might need some minor h-pipe mods to make them fit but you'll get a bit of a boost in performance too, plus they look original. I'm letting them go for CHEAP if you're interested - shoot me an e-mail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts