Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when my father-in-law and I were removing the clips that hold the chrome in place,he accidently put a crack in the glass,the entire time telling me to be careful and not to crack the glass. The question is can you stop the crack from spreading?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Common nowadays is a process called "windshield repair". It injects a compound into certain types of cracks to keep them from spreading. It is quite effective, I've had it done on two daily drivers (non-Mustang) and a benefit is it fills in the crack to the point it almost disappears. Glass shops are familiar with this process. They may be also to help you, depending on location of crack, its size etc ; check with a local glass shop.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Generally speaking, no you can't stop a line crack from spreading. Windshield repairs push epoxy into the crevice and then the exposed part is trimmed off. This process fills stars and pits in the windshield fairly well. You can still see the pit or star but its minimized and the pit or star is filled which prevents ice from forming in the pit or star, expanding and worsening the situation. Line cracks can't be filled this way since they have such a small area to fill and the air pressure used usually can't push the epoxy into the length of the crack. A new windshield is in your future. Sorry!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The mechanic husband of a lady here at work said that taking a razor blade and scoring the glass 90deg to the direction of the crack will often stop it. I can't say if it works or not but he restores Camaros and works on 'vettes for a living so it's not like he's not into old cars and "make-it-work" methods. Also, it's free (if you already have a razor blade, that is).

Greg

·
Registered
392 Posts
I fix windshields for a living. Yes you can fill line cracks, depending on how long they are. Usually I will drill the end of the crack and inject resin into the crack from there. Applying pressure to certain parts of the crack will allow the resin to fill it up. If the crack is pretty new, sometimes you can just lay resin over the crack and it will seep in. This only works if there is no dirt trapped in the crack. Also, the line usually does not totally disappear but you can get by. If the crack is pretty long, then yeah get a new windshield.

BTW don't try fixing it yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I would just replace the windshield. I would recomend going to your local reputable body shop and ask who their glass guy is. At the body shop I work at we have a local glass guy that comes buy everyday to replace glass. I asked him how much to replace the windshield in my 65 Vert and he told me $168.00 installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts