Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some small cracks in the sidewalls of my tires, mostly on the insides. The tread is still OK at 4/32 to 5/32. How bad are these cracks?

The tire store says they should be replaced, but I wanted to know the real story. I have also recently completed a complete brake, suspension and stearing rebuild on the car and am going to the track with the local Mustang club in a month.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
sounds like they are drying out..how old are they?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure. I bought the car three years ago. The PO had stored the car for the 2 to 3 years before I bought it, only drving it every few months.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
sounds like they are just dried out..it happens from sitting..the tires might be 10-12 years old..I would think about some new ones..they are the only thing between you and the road..

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
They will probably get you by. I just bought the cougar pictured below which has sit for the most part the last few years. Same story with the tires on it. I drove the car from Ventura to LA to Fresno on them, about 400 mile give or take, and they held up fine. But I will be replacing them asap, as I prefer my wife not to have to depend on them with the sidewall cracking like they are. It's only a matter of time when they go, and it's always at the most inconvenient time. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Check with a dealer, those items are usually covered by mfg defects warranty.....might save you a couple of bucks on new ones!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I got a real good closeout deal on some Dunlops for my truck a few years back - the tires were probably old when I bought them, and I didn't put a lot of miles on my truck at the time (5k - 6k a year) and the tires developed cracks while I had them - I tried to watch it, but two of the tires flew apart on me within a couple of months of each other - I should have learned after the first one. I was very lucky to keep the truck on the road and not cause an accident both times.
The tread can come off and also tear up your fender.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My car had been garaged for years when I got it. Tires had similar cracks in the sidewalls. They made me nervous so I replaced them. My brother put them on his Camaro where they promptly came apart at high speed. Took quite awhile for the blood to drain back to his knuckles /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. My $0.02 says replace them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the imput, I am going to replace the tires. I also figure I just put all this time, effort, and money into the other systems I should also have good tires. My wife is also a primary driver of the car and a lot of times she is driving late at night. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My girlfriends Honda sat in the sun for five months and a cracked sidewall gave out the other day. The tires were a few years old. I made her buy 2 new tires against her will. The other 2 tires are six months old.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
Going out on the track? Replace them. The stresses on your ENTIRE car when on the track are WAY above ANYTHING it EVER see's on the road.

Could you imagine turning at 80mph and a tire blowing out? Bob is right. If the tech guy and the organization are any good, they won't let you run. Then your stuck at the track, possibly not able to get your money back. It's your responsibility come track time to make sure your car passes tech.

Be safe and do it right. Get new tires before track time...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, OK, I got it! I am replacing the tires! I did a very close inspection of them this morning and found several more cracks then I had already known about. I was also asking the question well in advance of race day so I have time to buy new tires. It is one of the things on my list of stuff to do before race day. Thanks for all the excellent advice. Man I love this forum, better send some money to Bob tonight.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts