Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience with Craftsman compressors. I have a chance to buy a used one, 6 1/2 HP 60 gal. tank. I believe it is the direct drive model, oil less. The guy is asking $400 CDN which is approx. 1/2 price of new at Sears. I'm going to look at it tonight so would appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have a 33 gal/ 6HP unit and it has worked well for me, but I don't work it that hard. Sandblasting has been the most taxing thing I've ever used it for. When it runs it is really loud though.

I think the Craftsman compressors are good for the home/hobbyist user but not for "heavy" users.

Sounds like a good price...

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
The direct drives are VERY noisy (this isn't just Craftsman, it's true in general). Get a oil-lubed compressor, unless you wear earplugs and will be far enough away not to annoy anyone else.

Actually, thinking on it again, forget the "unless". Don't buy a direct drive.

Steve

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have the same unit you going to look at. Had one cylinder go out but turned out to be just a defective reed valve. Cost about 13 bucks from Sears for the part. Had a capacitor also fail and a replacement was about 20 bucks (not at Sears because they wanted me to buy the whole motor. Nay, nay camel breath I said, that's not a good deal at all). Beyond that I'm happy with it. Yes it's a bit louder than some, but I'm willing to put up with that because it can't push any oil down the line and I use it as an air source for painting.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have this exact unit. Had it about 6 years now and have had to replace one reed valve as well. Noisy, but I also wanted the oil free air stream for painting.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
If it's the black Craftsman Professional series, I have the same one. I believe the red ones were the standard models.

As the other posters said, they are noisy, but hasn't let me down yet. I've had it about 3 years now, and use it quite often. The CFM's are really good on the professional series, can't recall what the standard craftsman model was. I've done everything with mine, tools; paint; large blasting cabinet; etc. I got mine on sale brand new for about $500.00 USD.

I've been really pleased with mine, except for the noise. Kind of funny though when one of the kids walk by it, and it kicks on! They jump about 5' feet! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
887 Posts
Another big problem with the "Low End" compressors is, to get the CFM ratings up and "look impressive" the manufacturer uses a high rpm motor, hence the BRAWWWWWWWWWW noise when running. With any heavy duty service the unit will self destruct in a short time. Our first compressor was like that and it ran itself to death. Our new one turns about half as many rpms and keeps up much better. It cost twice as much but, will last much longer. Check out the Champion line of compressors. We cannot say enough good things about ours. We bought it from TIP in Ohio. Just My .02

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
6 HP is 723 watt per horsepower x 6 = 4338 watts. Divide that by 120 volts and you get about 36 amps. Try that on your 15 or 20 amp breaker. What BS. That is also not allowing for efficiency loss which on any small motor is at least 30 %... Let's get real. The public is being scammed by these HP ratings. Try looking at what they really put out in SCFM @ what pressure etc. Someone else may be able to help on those numbers. Please don't get conned by these ridiculous numbers. 1 KW is 1KW and that is a fact. Good Luck - Don't get (You Know).

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am partial to the Ingersoll Rand brand.....they cost more, but they last long and are easy to maintain....I have the huge upright
compressor with the second stage setup.

I agree with Gaspumps.....get the ratings for practical amperage and uses.....inflated numbers are there to woo the crowds...

:)

I have worked with air sanders, paint guns, sand blasting equipment, DA grinders etc......with no problems.

regards

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. We had friends drop in for dinner last night so did not get out yet to see it. Hopefully this morning.

I have done some research on compressors and thought I wanted a single stage oil type for the quietness, but have yet to see a good used one close by. This one is 5 min. away and a good price.

One thing I didn't know is the oil in the line vs. painting. At the most I'll use it to spray primer and maybe do engine compartment paint, but will leave the final paint to a pro. Is the oil type not good for painting?

Gas pumps, I believe this unit is 240 volt 20 amp. and yes I am aware the CFM is the numbers to look for and not the "rated" HP.

CApony, I'd love tp get IR, my brother has a beaut in his garage, he's a mechanic. But my budget is not quite that high for these and this one is over half of IR. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have the same air compressor,I don't believe I would buy another the noise level is unreal.I paid 425.00 new with the craftsman club discount

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The argument still stands, but I just got tossed out of the IEEE and lost my license. Must have been really late.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts