Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the craftsman.com website and found a set of fully polished long handle metric wrenches from 7 to 19 mm for $39.99. I went to the store to get them and they couldnt find the product number for them but had the exact same set for $99.99. So i got on the e-mail list for them to tell me when they were in stock. Well i got an e-mail saying they were discontinued. how convienient. I called and they said the ones i was looking at was 6 pt. and the new ones on the website was 12 pt. for 79.99. im looked at similar sets and from what i can tell 6pt. usually is higher. No help from managers at sears.com basically they told me tough [email protected]%t. what do yall think

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If they advertised something they better have it at that price or something of equal or greater value. There's usually some state agency that will get involved when there's false advertising. I'd let Sears know it in crystal clear terms. No is not an acceptible answer.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
sears here use to be great. lousy now. if a tool breaks now and take it back, you now get a refurbished tool. this store has 8 full time employees,all other part time,guess why. young ladies selling bras one day and car tires and paint the next day.it just doesnt work that way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Around here it seems that they are moving all thier tools to thier Sears Hardware stores. It's funny, The tool prices at the regular Sears seem cheaper than what they are at the Sears Hardware.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You would think that an on-line store would be up to date. I have found that it is not always so. Best bet is to confirm thru the sales source about stock on hand and pricing.

You might check our fav auction site. They sometimes have new discontinued items in the tool areas.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my suggestion. Document all that you read and did and write a letter, yes snail mail, to Sears headquarters in Chicago. Be polite but firm in your belief that you expected a premium quality tool from Sears Craftsman and that you expected Sears to honor all advertisements. Believe me no business takes e-mail very seriously because its too easy for everyone to use. Now if you take the time to write in a personable manor putting the onus on them about their product I think you will get some satisfaction.
How do I know. I complained about a Craftsman hand tool set that was made in Taiwan not being a USA product and they shipped me a USA version straight from the manufacturer in Texas. So then I had two sets. Of course I returned one at the store for a metric set /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'd give the "false advertizing" complaint a try...never know you might get some tools !

As far as Sears for tools, I was there yesterday and liked it. I don't know where else locally I'd have found the flare wrenches I need for today's project.

Other better options, either local store or mail order? Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been buying tools there for 30 years with absolutely no problems & have close to $12,000 worth. I got tired of the Snap-On guy argueing about replacements & had to chase him down. BTW I bought the same set of wrenches except in standard for $39.99

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, I just returned a 3/8" ratchet yesterday and got a 'refurbished' replacement. In the big picture, it pry doesn't really matter as the 'guts' are all new, just the handle is re-used. It still kinda ticked me off at first!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts