Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does craftsman still have lifetime warranty on there tools? I have one of there torque wrench that's probably 20 years old that does not work.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Supposedly they still do.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Most hand tools do, power tools, drill bits, etc. do not. Not sure about torque wrenches. Best bet is to look up a similar torque wrench on the Sears/Craftsman website and see if it says guaranteed forever...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The tools they make nowadays are pretty crappy! I have a ratchet set from the late 80's and they still work great. Got a ratchet couple years ago and it was junk.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,524 Posts
Beam type is lifetime. Click type is 1 year. Digital is calibration only up to 90 days.

Edit: What about it doesn't work? I have 20+ year old 3/8" click type that I recently sent our cal lab at work. It was less than 4% off through full scale at 75 lb-ft.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does not click, just keeps going..

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check tomorrow. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or I just might go to harbor freight and get one for $20. Can't beat the price...

·
Registered
413 Posts
It does not click, just keeps going..
Might just need to be recalibrated. You're suppose to have that done every few years or so depending on your usage. That wouldn't be covered by warranty though.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I had a Cman click type torque wrench, used it about 2 or three times and one day the spring and some other bits shot out the end of the handle. I had it a little over a year so I took it back to Sears along with my sales receipt and the original packaging, where it stated "lifetime warranty". The store manager said too bad, we only honor the warranty for 90 days on torque wrenches. I pitched a fit and he finally gave me a new one with a very deep discount. That was about 8 years ago, and the new wrench is still working.

One thing to remember with the click type, always return them to zero after using them. It will prolong the calibration.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
One thing to remember with the click type, always return them to zero after using them. It will prolong the calibration.[/QUOTE]

+1! Absolutely return it to 'stop' after each use. It's much like unstringing your long bow while not in use.

Most Craftsman hand tools are lifetime such as screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets, pliers, etc. Best score I had was finding a lunchbox full of Craftsman tools behind the back seat of a '65 Galaxie in a junkyard. All rusty- and all covered under warranty, so I hit the jackpot!! :pirate:

I will admit as others have said, the older ratchets did seem to last longer than the newer ones, but as long as they keep replacing them, right? It just means you have to have 2 of everything!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I have bought a lot of craftsman tools over the years. Every time I go into a sears though, I wonder how much longer they will be in business. I also wonder at swap meets why and how guys have all these new craftsman tools for sale..where do they get them? Are they stolen?? The price never seems to be that much less than what the store sells thing for as well.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
hand tools, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers are. that's about it. electrics, blades, anything electronic no.

I always buy rotten and rusty dull tools at yard sales for 10 cents then run them over the sears and get a new one

same with Husky at HD and Kobalt at Lowes.

I got my wife trained pretty good at this so i dont even need to get out of the car anymore :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Sears used to have a policy where they sold stock that had been in inventory for a fraction of the price instead of destroying it. I know of several ex-employees who got tons of stuff that way.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Does craftsman still have lifetime warranty on there tools? I have one of there torque wrench that's probably 20 years old that does not work.
As previously indicated, if its settings are adjustable, it's a pretty short warranty.
You would be well out of warranty at 20 years.
Beam type used to be lifetime.

I got them to give me cash back one time on an adjustable one after about 2 years
of use. It was the style that used a C-clip on the top of the tool to retain the
ratcheting "guts." The clip had popped up under use and speared me in the palm.
I noticed the design of that tool changed not too long afterward......

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
most tool cashiers have the ratchet repair kit under the table and can fix it right on the spot for free. 1 minute fix.
warranty does not say they will give you a new one. im ok with that so long as it works and you can always bring it back again in 15 years

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Over my lifetime I've bought many many Craftsman tools. Now when I visit a couple diff stores near me, I get very frustrated because they stock almost nothing now. Hard to buy one of the better screwdrivers. Not my favorite tool place anymore.

Here in NH & near my son in CT, ACE Hardware stores do also sell some of the Craftsman hand tools.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts