Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to order some wheels and i am going to get some new cragar's for the vert. however, im having a problem with backspace. they only sell the 15x7 wheel in two backspaces...4.125 and 2.25. which of these do i need and/or which will look the best(dont really know how each will look)? also, what size tire is suggested with the correct backspacing? i was thinking either 215/60-15 or 225/60-15, so please correct me if im wrong and recommend a good tire size. just so you know, i checked the chart and neither of these backspaces are listed
thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
i have 2 friends with the ss wheels on their 65 and 66 coupesboth have the 15x7s
they both seem to hate them for seem reason and are always whining about having wasted their money on them.
so you might want to ask a few people who have them before you buy them.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I picked up a used set of Cragar SS wheels really cheap about two weeks ago, and I think they look great on my '73 vert. Mine are uni-lug, and the tire shop that put them on for me ruined a couple of wheel studs and lug nuts while putting them on. My Cragars are just 14" wheels, so I can't help you with the backspacing.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I can't answer your question, but just order both and return the ones that don't work? ;)
D

p.s. Cragars look terrible on 71-73's! I'd never, ever put those on my car!
Oh, wait a seond.... ;)

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I've not had a problem with mine and they were bought used.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Get the 4.125 backspacing. The other backspacing will put the wheels outside of your wheel wells. Be sure to also order the Cragar uni-log washers for the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. You have to buy 5 sets of the washers, because for some dumb reason, they come in packs of 4. (Cragar S/S's are still uni-lug today).

If you haven't ordered them yet, I would suggest ordering from Summit. Since they have no shipping charges on orders of that size, they were actually cheaper, shipped to my door, than any other place I found. I went with 15x8's all the way around on my '69, but doubt you could fit those too well in a '66.

Also, when I was checking into buying the Cragar's for my '69, I was told by the Cragar sales rep. that you can custom order any backspacing you want on the S/S wheels through Summit racing. The only caveat is that all custom orders are final. You cannot return them, and there is an extra $50/wheel charge for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts