Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get new wheels for my '66. I want to get Cragar SS wheels. What's the largest size I could go? 15x8 or 15x10. The backspacing is 4 1/4. Also what's the bolt pattern for the five lug spindle...5x4 1/2", 4 3/4", or 5"? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I believe even the "newer" Cragar SS wheels are a uni-lug(universal bolt pattern). The holes are oblong, to accomodate all three different bolt patterns. I've heard people complain that uni-lugs tend to vibrate at high speeds. I've got a set and can't say that I have noticed.

Your bolt pattern is 5 x 4 1/2. In case you go with a wheel that has a specific bolt pattern. The 15x8 size may be a bit too much, since the max size tire you could fit would be 225/60 all around or possibly 235/60 in the rear. The money you save by going 15x7 could go towards better tire??? Jus my opinion.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Some what right m8. The new Cragar SS wheels, now called type 61 ??, are size specific in 16 and 17" size. The 15" are still universal type. My 16' wheels, 16x7 4.5" BS, 205-55-16 front and 16x8, 4.75 BS 225-50-16 rear use acorn lugnuts! They look sharp to.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
We have Keystone Klassics (the clasisc ones ... not the modern repros) on my son's '65. They are the Uni-lug style so popular in the '70's. We have no vibration problems with them. The only problem we've had is the lug nuts keep disappearing when bozos keep trying to steel them and then realize the one lug nut is a lock *LOL*.

We've lost so many lug nuts at his high school that I keep spares in my garage for him.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Damn thieves...Maybe you should put all locks and no nuts. Might save money in the long run, and you would feel safer not having to check wheels every time he drives it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts