Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this development - just scroll to the bottom to see what I found.

Back story
I'm not in love with my coupe, even though I've done a complete restoration. I know a lot more now than when I started 6 years ago, and for the last 3 years, upgrading to a 69 fastback has been my goal since A - looks way better, and B - I already have 95% of the parts for no matter what kind of fastback I find out there.

I'm not looking to find one to flip, I want it to keep it. I almost daily my coupe to work, this would be no different except I would have a lot more pride in it.

For three years I haven't found a single fastback that wasn't less than $25k - making the frowned upon conversion kit more and more financially enticing (I've found a shop that would do the conversion (including the parts) and paint for $10k)

But then i got a hit on my craigslist alert - 69 fastback project, $7k with a decent shot of the exterior.
Looks like its just a shell from the one photo, but thats ok. thats all I need.

getting my wife on board was the most difficult part - but she agrees to go with me to check it out since she knows how long i've been looking for one. its a 2 hour drive away from us, and the seller barely responded to any of my questions ahead of time - but we go check it out.

album link -> Rustback - Album on Imgur

its an F code, and hes been slowly replacing the sheet metal, welding it all back together. he claimed to have all the parts except for the rear seat,

he did have a 302 and a C4 - but even the parts were in parts.

I dont think it would be worth $2k, let alone 7

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Kinda like fishing. Gotta catch a few garbage fish before you catch the big one. Your coupe looks nice, enjoy it while you search and find the fastback you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I was in exactly the same situation as you. I found a very similar ad but the car was in much better shape. Now I have them both. I daily teh coupe as I build teh fastback. I will probably sell the coupe one day, even though I do enjoy having it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
WOW thats high for that basket case.

A couple of years ago there was a 69 Q code Mach 4 spd car minus engine and transmission for sale on the local craigslist. The guy wanted 7500 and I though it wasn't a steal but it wasn't out of line either...I can't imagine paying 7000 for a F code thats not even a roller.

·
Registered
813 Posts
In the northeast that isn't bad for that car if the rest of the parts are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
$7K does seem a bit high but if you've been searching 3 years and can't seem to find anything within your budget then I say go for it. 69 Fastback a hot now and you already have a lot of parts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I peruse C-list for 69 fastbacks every other day or so (I'm still dreaming of the no-picture, come and get it out of my garage ad that turns out to be a Boss 429. a guy can dream). I can't believe what people are asking! That car would be $17k up here. Mainly because there are a lot of rust buckets in the midwest, but still, people want astronomical money for these things!

Looks like a decent starting point so long as everything has been welded in straight.

·
Super Moderator
8,992 Posts
$7K does seem a bit high but if you've been searching 3 years and can't seem to find anything within your budget then I say go for it. 69 Fastback a hot now and you already have a lot of parts.

Good point.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does it have a clear title with all the tags in place? Maybe you could get him down a $$$. That would be better than a conversion.
I'll ask about the reg status..

I'm sure I can talk him down to $5k. but still -- think it would be worth it even with all those frankenstein welds?

A member on here reached out to me with a H code in much better shape with its original 351C (still not running and would need body work, but wont need any welding) for $14k --- probably save up some extra money to get that instead if he still has it

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Up here in Santa Clarita, there is a guy that has a yard full of old mustang projects most if not all original unmolested as well as tons of parts. Maybe send him a text and see what he has to offer in a 1969 body style ?

818-367-0055

https://www.facebook.com/SoCalMustangMD/

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Something to be said for this. I spent a year looking for a '67 and finally settled on the one I did because I wanted to get moving and still drive the thing before college. It wasn't the perfect car but it was good enough to turn into what I wanted.

I know how crazy expensive '69 and '70 Fastbacks are in LA. If you have the money, $7k really isn't really that bad. Especially if it's THE car you want.

Also, learn to weld. :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
LOL someone in the Bay Area would slap a $12k price tag on that and it would sell. (I'm serious)

If it's got a clean title, frame rails are solid, and he's got the missing parts, show him $5k and tell him he has to drop it off at your place.

·
Super Moderator
8,992 Posts
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this development - just scroll to the bottom to see what I found.

Back story
I'm not in love with my coupe, even though I've done a complete restoration. I know a lot more now than when I started 6 years ago, and for the last 3 years, upgrading to a 69 fastback has been my goal since A - looks way better, and B - I already have 95% of the parts for no matter what kind of fastback I find out there.

I'm not looking to find one to flip, I want it to keep it. I almost daily my coupe to work, this would be no different except I would have a lot more pride in it.

For three years I haven't found a single fastback that wasn't less than $25k - making the frowned upon conversion kit more and more financially enticing (I've found a shop that would do the conversion (including the parts) and paint for $10k)

But then i got a hit on my craigslist alert - 69 fastback project, $7k with a decent shot of the exterior.
Looks like its just a shell from the one photo, but thats ok. thats all I need.

getting my wife on board was the most difficult part - but she agrees to go with me to check it out since she knows how long i've been looking for one. its a 2 hour drive away from us, and the seller barely responded to any of my questions ahead of time - but we go check it out.

album link -> Rustback - Album on Imgur

its an F code, and hes been slowly replacing the sheet metal, welding it all back together. he claimed to have all the parts except for the rear seat,

he did have a 302 and a C4 - but even the parts were in parts.

I dont think it would be worth $2k, let alone 7

Three years is a long time, how are you searching / using CL?

Try search tempest. It scans both CL, eBay and other sources for whatever you want.

Like CL, you type in what you're looking for, but you also pick the travel radius that you're looking for. Don't limit yourself to just your area, search Nationwide.

Find the car deal that you want, and ONLY THEN decide if it's too far for the car.

Suppose that you limit the Max that you'll travel to 500 miles, but the exact car that you want is 550 miles away? Guess what, you just missed Your car. Would you have travelled the extra 50 miles,....what about an extra 100 miles? Of course you'd drive the extra way.

FIND THE CAR FIRST, then decide if the drive is worth it.

We drove 15 hrs each way for my $300 67, complete hardtop shell.
We drove 2 hours each way for my $300 new Lincoln 180.
We drove 2 hours each way for my $500/600? new 80 gl compressor.

I'm always up for a road trip, plus my 13 yr old son was with me for all trips, so that made the trips even more enjoyable!

Search, have your $$ ready and be able to leave at a moments notice.

For the 15 hr shell we left home about 8:00 that night after work, drove straight through for 15 hrs, picked it up and headed part of the way back before I just just couldn't go any farther.

It'll remain one of the enjoyable times of my life, just me and my son. You may enjoy the read, it's in my build thread below.

Good luck and tell us what you find.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another option with $17,500 price tag is this

Licensed Replacement Body Shell

I actually looked into that --

downsides would be, missing a LOT of parts, seems like they're not perfect in terms of fitting parts onto it, and you still need to weld some sub frame parts on :(

however rust free and thicker metal was very tempting... financially however its just too much I think.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
I like the $7K car. Because if THAT car is worth that much then my "project" pile of cr.....I mean, fine automobile... is worth about that much too. And since I originally gave $500 for it that makes me all kinds of happy. Even though mine's not for sale.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the $7K car. Because if THAT car is worth that much then my "project" pile of cr.....I mean, fine automobile... is worth about that much too. And since I originally gave $500 for it that makes me all kinds of happy. Even though mine's not for sale.
I was actually wrong... he has it listed for $8k

im 9 pages into this dynacorn thread.... pretty much kills that option for me - I dont even wanna know what rusty charged for that work
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/646653-1967-dynacorn-fastback-8.html

·
Super Moderator
8,992 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
A few more thoughts:

After looking through the album, the body seesm to be in really good shape all things considered. I saw no rust, and assuming the panels were welded in straight, it took me 4 years to get my car's shell to this level. I paid $3,800 for mine in 2004. I definitely didn't spend 3 grand on metal, but the time investment was huge.

Check the VIN closely, it looks like the windshield tag has been off. Not unusual, but finding and checking the numbers would be fruitful to make sure you aren't getting into something weird.

Also, keep us updated! Still considering it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts