Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i go out to start up my car it doesnt crank or no lights come on! I jumped it and it took a while to jump it but it ran smoothly after that and didnt die! Then i took out the key and started it back up and the same thing happened! The battery i bought about 2 months ago but i know if the battery just sits in the car without being cranked it can die! Is there another solution to this problem or not? thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
A couple of possibilities. Carefully check the cables to see if they are good. If they are fine, then yes, it's likely the batt, but why?

Yes a batt can go bad from sitting, but it will take much more time then 2 months. Pull the batt and have it load checked at an auto shop or parts stoe. What you likely have is a draw. Basicly that means something is staying on in the car and running the batt down even when it's sitting. Check everything in the car to see if something is left on. Check things like the glove box light and the trunk light and things you wouldn't normaly notice.

To check for a draw, pull the neg cable off of the batt and either use a VOM between the loose cable and the neg terminal, or for a quick check you can use one of those cheapie little probe testers that look like a pen with a wire coming out of the back. Put that between the loose neg cable and the neg terminal on the batt. If it lights up at all you have got a draw.

PS - your batt will have to be charged to do a good job on this test.

Post back and let us know what you find.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, thats's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be your ignition switch. Is there a click when your trying to start it?? Or it could just be the harness that connects to the ignition switch. That's if it's not the battery!! Of course check that first!! Hope this helps!

65 Coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Yes, but he said that there were no lights either. There must be something else than just ignition switch. I am not Midlife but the important clue to me is that it didn't start after shutting down after shutting down. So, did the lights come on after jump-starting and did they stay on after shutting down?

Door handle first

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
In addition, make sure your car is charging and not drawing power from the battery after you start it. Use a voltmeter and check the voltage at the terminals on you battery while the car is running.
>13.5V=good charging system battery or short may be to blame
<13.5=bad charging system, check wiring and have alt and voltage regulator tested at an autoparts store.

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you should check charging system with a voltmeter with engine running. put voltmater across battery term. an read 13.5 +/- 1 volts. if you do your charging system is ok. if so then you have to look at something draining your battery in a static condition. to do this remove + battery cable and insert ammeter between battery + post and the cable end you took off with the ign key off - should read less than 10 milliamps or so. if greater start pulling fuzes untill it goes away - that ckt will be problem and you have to go from there.

·
1,211 Posts
Also, If you find that you are not charging properly, it could be the voltage regulator and/or
the alternator.

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

·
Registered
185 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts