Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 289 to 302 swap, do I need to reinstall the oil slinger on the crankshaft? What does that thing do, anyway? Lubricate the lip seal? Going from stock '66 block to FMS 302 roller engine.

Your wisdom and experience will be much appreciated, as always

MrFreeze

·
Registered
439 Posts
:lol: I remember when I put my 347 together and just sealed it all up and saw that thing laying there....I had no idea what is was so I got in my book and read "oil slinger" I was like "damn sounds important" so I tore it all apart haha.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When I installed my edelbrock "true-roller" timing set it said not to install the factory oil slinger. If your going to use a stock timing set, I'd use it. BTW, stallion18 where are you in MD?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing set is a Cloyes 9-1135 "Street True Roller Speed Set." Instructions don't mention the slinger. I suppose I'd better put it in, unless somebody knows a reason not to - I don't see what it could hurt.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
560 Posts
I omitted it on my last 351, used a Cloyes double roller chain. It was a mysterious leak until I reinstalled it... PITA

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Since I'm using a mechanical fuel pump, an early front cover, and Ford thought they were necessary; I installed the oil slinger in the roller-block 342 in the Fastback. IIRC, this is in conjunction with a Cloyes timing chain set.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
The slinger was to keep the oil off of the front seal. With the new seals it is not required. None of the 5.0 engines had them. Mine certainly does not and never leaked from the front seal.

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I installed my edelbrock "true-roller" timing set it said not to install the factory oil slinger. If your going to use a stock timing set, I'd use it. BTW, stallion18 where are you in MD?
Im from Cumberland....western end in Allegany County

1 - 9 of 9 Posts