Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new crank and bearings. The guy at the machine shop took the casting number on my old crank and ordered it from that. I got the new crank today and took it home. Well when I went to put it in, it wouldn't go. I quickly discovered the culprit is a flange on the rear of the crankshaft that is preventing it from seating in the back of the motor properly. Now the question. Should I wait till monday and have him order me the right one, or should I turn the flange off with a lathe? And if I turn it down, will that dmak it leak when i put it in? Im leaving for Hot August NIghts wednesday so it has to be done and tomorrow is my only day off until then. I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Wait and get the right one. By turning that off in a lathe you may get into a balance problem.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
It's obviously the wrong one. For sure take it back.

Take a look at www.scatcrankshafts.com. I believe they are down your way. If I had to replace a factory crank, I'd consider the aftermarket if I ran into problems getting the correct stock one. In fact, FRPP (Ford) may even get most of their cranks (replacement & stroker) from SCAT.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Early crank, late block.

If you've got access to a crank/cyndrilical grinder or lathe, you could remove the flange; personally, I'd get the correct crank. Likely imbalance would be off too....you could be assured of the correct imbalance with the correct crank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts