Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if i should go for getting a crate engine or rebuild my 289 v8..i got a quote at 2,000 to re built my engine does anyone know of a place to get a good crate engine for less than or close to that amount?

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Not a good one. Rebuild, if you can. Original is always best, if you can. There's a lot of inexpensive tricks to upgrade these engines.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any tips? im in high school and this is my first big project car ive done a lot to my titan and now me and my dad are re doing a 66 mustang coupe. Ive put new spark plug wires in it, new intake filter, just installed a new battery and cables today but the fuel pump does work so have to replace that. I disconnected the line that connects the tank to the pump, opened the gas tank cap and blew compressed air through it to make sure there wasnt any crap stuck in it and it was fine so the pump just inst getting fuel to the carb. i want to get new headers and new gaskets what else should i do?

·
Registered
178 Posts
any tips? im in high school and this is my first big project car ive done a lot to my titan and now me and my dad are re doing a 66 mustang coupe. Ive put new spark plug wires in it, new intake filter, just installed a new battery and cables today but the fuel pump does work so have to replace that. I disconnected the line that connects the tank to the pump, opened the gas tank cap and blew compressed air through it to make sure there wasnt any crap stuck in it and it was fine so the pump just inst getting fuel to the carb. i want to get new headers and new gaskets what else should i do?
Rebuild the 289. A crate engine will cost you triple what it will cost to rebuild. Are you sure the problem is the fuel pump, or just a carb problem? If the carbs good, replace that fuel pump and see if it does the trick. If not, the gas tank could be shot. Its a 66 and who knows if any of the lines or tank have been replaced in the past 45 years. If it were me, I'd put a new tank in, new lines, new pump and be done with it. Problem solved right there. But i get it, you're in HS and money doesn't exactly grow on trees these days.

Hold off on the headers and performance mods for now. Spend your money on getting it running first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carb is good its not very old and its a 4 barrel if we directly put fuel into the carb itll start for a couple seconds until the fuel that we put in burns up and yeah we got a new tank its in our garage waiting to be installed and about to get a new fuel pump..and me and my dad are going to try and fix it up and sell it in about 2 years so we can have some fun with it after the work is done disk brakes are on their way and i want to paint it grey with black stripes like the old shelby gt500's

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and it was recently running just fine when we bought it i drove it home 200 miles with no problems

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
carb is good its not very old and its a 4 barrel if we directly put fuel into the carb itll start for a couple seconds until the fuel that we put in burns up and yeah we got a new tank its in our garage waiting to be installed and about to get a new fuel pump..and me and my dad are going to try and fix it up and sell it in about 2 years so we can have some fun with it after the work is done disk brakes are on their way and i want to paint it grey with black stripes like the old shelby gt500's
Get the factory manual and go through the normal maintenance stuff to get it running right.

BTW, Shelby didn't paint them gray with black stripes. That was a Nick Cage movie with a fake car. :)

In 65, they were all white. In 66-67, they added half a dozen colors. The stripes on 65-66 were blue, white, or gold (on the Hertz cars), and they were very rare. How rare? Count the stripes:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Consider buying an 87-91 5.0?
you can pick one up in usable condition for about $300, scrap the e7 heads and stock intake and typically w/ just a rering and rebearing they are good to go as long as you put in good main bolts and upgrade the rod bolts. you get the added bonus of a cheap roller cam setup and a little bigger motor.

either way you go watch out on cutting corners on the internals, cheap forged pistons are HEAVY, stock rod bolts are crap, etc. you can save money if you put the heads on and install the cam, etc, if you aren't sure how to check things like bearing clearances and put rings in then its better not to get into it unless you are patient enough to learn how to do it right. but you can save a few hundred on assembly labor just getting the machine work done and putting together in the garage at home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the factory manual and go through the normal maintenance stuff to get it running right.

BTW, Shelby didn't paint them gray with black stripes. That was a Nick Cage movie with a fake car. :)

In 65, they were all white. In 66-67, they added half a dozen colors. The stripes on 65-66 were blue, white, or gold (on the Hertz cars), and they were very rare. How rare? Count the stripes:

hahaha love the picture:thumbsup: i love the grey/black color combo i think it looks sweet and my mom ordered the books just waiting for them to come in

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Consider buying an 87-91 5.0?
you can pick one up in usable condition for about $300, scrap the e7 heads and stock intake and typically w/ just a rering and rebearing they are good to go as long as you put in good main bolts and upgrade the rod bolts. you get the added bonus of a cheap roller cam setup and a little bigger motor.

either way you go watch out on cutting corners on the internals, cheap forged pistons are HEAVY, stock rod bolts are crap, etc. you can save money if you put the heads on and install the cam, etc, if you aren't sure how to check things like bearing clearances and put rings in then its better not to get into it unless you are patient enough to learn how to do it right. but you can save a few hundred on assembly labor just getting the machine work done and putting together in the garage at home.
ive seen some people that have gone that route and the added hp would be really nice but i also know you can get up to 350hp out of a 289 done right so im not sure exactly what to do if I got a 5.0 would i have to get new tranny or would the 289's work with it? I also kind of like the 351W's but that might get pricey

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not for $2K.
depends on how many times you want it to make it.

350hp from a 289 that can be fired up and driven everyday is going to cost you at least $6k. A little less if you cut corners and don't mind quirks and poor drivability. You will not find a set of stock heads that will support that HP level that don't get $1200+ in work.

the 5.0 will bolt right in. i needs s 50 oz balancer and a 50 oz flywheel instead of the 28 oz 289 stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I think you should replace the fuel pump & if the engine is solid enough just drive the '66 until you have all the bugs worked out. Cheap bang for the buck is to change the rear gears. That is all I would do until I had driven the car enough to know what issues it really has. Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Young guy sounds like you're strapped for cash. Find someone that has done this work, use him as a mentor and rebuild it yourself. With these old cars you either need skills or lots of cash.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I've been doing this hobby on high school and college budgets for 3 years now. It sucks.

If the engine ran when you drove it home, it will run again. Just fix it and drive it how it is. Start saving up money and do lots and lots of reading. By the time you've got a few hundred bucks you'll already know where you want to spend it.

I do it just like that. I have a mental list of everything i'd like to do to the car. For quite a while i pondered replacing the engine. But I'm able to save about $100 a month to put towards the car, and it isn't exactly feasible. Since the engine I have runs just fine, I instead focus on doing other upgrades.

First I replaced the floors. Bought my own lincoln refurbished MIG for about $350. Bought the panels and taught myself to weld. About a year later, after removing the fuel tank for cleaning and replacing all the rubber and saving the $100 for a new turn signal switch, I'm driving it daily. Saved a lot more and then I did the CSRP disc brake swap, which cost me $600 shipped. Then a few months later I dropped $200 on sound deadener to line the interior with.

Now I'm in the market for an Autolite 4100 to replace my 2100. And once I buy that, I'll rebuild it while i'm saving the money for the intake manifold.

You've gotta do it steps at a time and plan everything out. And you have to be willing to fix things rather than replace them. My heater fan switch was completely dead. $60 for a new one. I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts in about 20 minutes. Put it back together and now it works great. My headlight switch was also dead. Did the same thing and replaced a broken spring that cost me $1.09. Now it works great.

One thing i can tell you is you MUST pull the tank. With my '66 mustang, i had no choice but to replace it. With my '67, all i did was flush the dirt out of it and paint the outside, it was still in good shape. But pull it. I insist.

Good luck
-Matt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts