Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, without getting into the details my engine woes continue and now I need a crate motor ASAP. My dream was a fire-breathing 347 stroker making 450 hp, but I need upgrades to handle that kind of power (not to mention the motor's cost). Right now the frame is stiffened, upgraded suspension, and a Ford 9 rear. My weak links are a T-5z, no driveshaft loop, and stock flywheel (clutch is brand new and should be ok). The car is going to be a street rod, no drag racing with slicks but spirited driving. I don't need a fully dressed motor since my accessories are still good so I'm looking at long blocks. Obviously, I want something good but am trying to keep the price down. Here is what I'm looking at right now:

I've heard mostly good things about Blueprint Engines and they have a warranty, which I like. The price and power are good, too.

More expensive, but I've always understood CHP to be one of the top builders out there. Comes with a limited warranty though.

Great power and more expensive, but I don't know much about them and it may be too much power for my setup.

Those are the main ones I can think of right now, but I'm definitely open to suggestions and whatever your thoughts may be. Thank you again for all the help this forum provides.

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
I would look for an engine builder at least somewhat close by. What good is a warranty if you have to pull the engine and ship it half way across the country if there are problems?
Agreed,.....warranty or not, you’ll still have to pull and ship the motor for any warranty claim.

Then what do you do after the warranty is denied?

Find a shop within a comfortable drive and be involved with the build.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to have a local shop build a motor but I'm in a fairly remote area and it's been hard to find reputable places. I'm definitely asking around though to see what's available. I searched the PNW forum but it's been dead for awhile and the only shop mentioned is not picking up their phone.

Ok, so the shop put the iron heads back on and they weren't getting any compression or light off with the car. They reviewed everything multiple times and even had friends from other shops come over to look over and make sure they did everything correctly. Unfortunately, in the process they broke two rocker studs in one of the heads. The good news is that they're going to pay me for the heads and not charge me for the work to get the motor running, which is very much appreciated. After all that's gone into this, I think the best thing is a clean slate with a new motor that I know runs and will give me the power I'm looking for at the same time.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I'd love to have a local shop build a motor but I'm in a fairly remote area and it's been hard to find reputable places. I'm definitely asking around though to see what's available. I searched the PNW forum but it's been dead for awhile and the only shop mentioned is not picking up their phone.

Ok, so the shop put the iron heads back on and they weren't getting any compression or light off with the car. They reviewed everything multiple times and even had friends from other shops come over to look over and make sure they did everything correctly. Unfortunately, in the process they broke two rocker studs in one of the heads. The good news is that they're going to pay me for the heads and not charge me for the work to get the motor running, which is very much appreciated. After all that's gone into this, I think the best thing is a clean slate with a new motor that I know runs and will give me the power I'm looking for at the same time.
Sorry to hear that. It sure sounds like you also need to find a new shop to work on your car.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've searched around but haven't seen anything regarding these guys:

They're closer to me but still not "local." I'm trying to find local builders but timing and availability aren't on my side. Other than the heads, it seems like they're using good parts and I talked to them about swapping out heads and they can do that. So if I were to go with them I'd upgrade the heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,
a little late to the game on this one, with since we dyno every engine, and perform everything from an oil filter analysis to leak detection dye test, warranties are pretty limited. No company can be perfect however, so thats why we offer the 30 month warranty. Most minor things can be fixed in field, or even if a shop would need to be involved, we can cover that case to case (think broken rocker stud) where the engine could be repaired, opposed to yanked and shipped back.

if it was catastrophic, and our fault, we cover freight, and repair. Even claims where we find a non BPE failure (customer drops a nut or bolt down engine) we still are here to help, and can work with customers. obviously not 100% free, but we can't stand to see customers left in the cold. So thats why we are here to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts