Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, love the forum, and quite impressed with the members and their cars! I was hoping maybe one of you could help me out. I have a ‘67 289 coupe, was looking for the motor serial, and found c6oe on the intake manifold and deciphered that as a genuine ford part # but the block has an area where it looks like there should be a number, but is conspicuously absent.
Do crate motor mfg put a serial # on their motors, or is there a brand stamp somewhere? Here’s a pic of the front passenger (left?) side of the motor. Still confused on that, I work mostly on bikes and L/R is determined as seated on the bike, but cars are as facing the motor? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm pretty sure that only the HiPo engines had vin numbers stamped.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just thought there would be at least a Ford part # somewhere but just haven’t seen one

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Drivers side is left, passenger side is right.

Reactions: Master Hack

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
looking for the motor serial, and found c6oe on the intake manifold and deciphered that as a genuine ford part #
That is not a part number. If you take that number or any other similar number found on any part of a Ford to the parts department they will tell you no such part exists. Those are engineering numbers and although they are in the exact same format as a part number they are not the same thing.

You will not find a serial number on your '67 engine unless it is a K code 289 HiPo. And the serial number, if present, is the VIN of the car the engine was installed in at the factory. The closest thing your engine will have to a serial number is date casting codes. All major engine component castings (block, heads, manifolds) have the date they were cast molded into the casting. The code will be in the format of numeral/letter/numeral and possibly another numeral. The first numeral is the year such as 6 for 1966 or 7 for 1967. The letter is the month, A-M, with I not being used because that may be confused with the numeral 1. The final numeral(s) are the day of the month, 1-31. The engine block was stamped with the engine's assembly date using a hammer and metal stamps but all engines assembled that day would have the same stamping so it is not a serial number.
So when somebody tells you they have a "matching numbers" Ford they are lying. They may have an "appropriate numbers" Ford which means all of the casting dates are appropriate for the assembly date of the car.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Reactions: Master Hack

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Where would this be located?
The date code on a 289 block will be in the same location as the engineering code- near the starter. The date codes on heads are located under the valve covers. The date code on the intake manifold should be right on the top and easy to see. The link provided by CJM has some photos of date codes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseam so thanks for the help. Just was crawling around matching up CJM’s link pics and best I can tell it’s actually behind the starter. Can’t miss the manifold # that’s easy and shows to be a ‘66. I’ll stick my Borescope up there tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
There is a cast in flat area at the center at the rear the block just behind the intake manifold, that may have a partial vin on later model blocks. I used to work in a shop that used that area to stamp the build date and the invoice number. Several times we caught people trying to bring back engines that we didn't sell to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts