Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 65 fastback with a stock 289/C4 setup. I'm trying to decide whether to go 302 crate or a 2015 Coyote with 40,000 miles. I'm also switching to a Tremec TKX 5 speed to really bump up the fun factor. The Coyote route is more expensive, but if you take cost out of the equation I'm wondering what is the better option. I'd really appreciate peoples opinions one way or the other.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Caspian, definately the crate. The coyote is overrated and mostly hype. Yes, they can make insane amounts of power. But to fit one into your 65 requires some butchery, which weakens the car, and makes it much less valuable. And then you have an engine that can easily overpower the tires. WELL, you easily get more power than you know what to do with from a well built 289/302. The 65 289 heads are usually considered the best 289 head. With some port work and larger valves, they'll support 450 hp. If you did the heads and then added a stroker ( 331 or 347 ), you'd have the same 450 hp, but at a lower, more street friendly rpm range. If you get some aftermarket heads, you can make even more power, just as much or more than the coyote boys can. And all that cutting and welding to shoehorn it into the early car will cost you, over and above the increased cost of the coyote engine and computer itself. LSG

·
Dimples
5,727 Posts
Less about cost and more about what it takes to make a Coyote swap happen. Too much to get into, but I’ll put it like this: if you have a running, driving car, in a weekend you can have a pushrod crate motor in and running.

For a Coyote, since you have to do some major surgery and completely change several systems (suspension/brakes/steering/wiring/cooling/fuel/exhaust), the car would likely be down for months or longer, depending on who’s doing the work.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,730 Posts
Unless you plan on racing it, a well tuned 289 will provide a lot of pleasure. Mine is nothing special, just .030 0ver bore, 500cfm carb, hipo manifolds and dual exhaust. It's a peppy little engine on the low to mid range RPM. Plenty to keep up with highway traffic and no issue laying some rubber with a toploader. Btw, I picked up a 5.0 GT40P out of a 98 Explorer as a backup. The price was too good to pass. If I ever need it, it's there. If not the 289 suits me just fine.

·
Dimples
5,727 Posts
Unless you plan on racing it, a well tuned 289 will provide a lot of pleasure.
While there’s nothing wrong with a stock(ish) 289, nobody is cross shopping that with a Coyote. And having had both a stock 289 and a heavily warmed up pushrod 5.0, I can tell you, there’s no comparison when it comes to “pleasure”. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
For all the work involved, you might as well just do a body swap on a modern mustang and not bother with the super intensive project of shoehorning a 5.0 coyote into one of these little cars. Put a good running small block Ford in it and drive it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the Coyote route is a lot more involved than I thought. I just read a few articles and see all about the butchering/TCI route. Not to mention I spent some good money on coilovers just last summer. A local shop builds a 340HP/340TQ 302 for a pretty good price and I already have EFI. I'm thinking that plus a 5 speed would make for a really fun ride as I'm not looking for a race car.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
517 Posts
For all the work involved, you might as well just do a body swap on a modern mustang and not bother with the super intensive project of shoehorning a 5.0 coyote into one of these little cars. Put a good running small block Ford in it and drive it!
Body swapping a 65 Fastback onto a modern Mustang is easier that putting a Coyote engine in it???

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Haveing installed a 5.4 dohc into my 97 f150 where it "fits" but took a lot of effort let me be one of the many to say stick with your 289 or put a crate motor in it. Save your self some major money & effort. And have as much power . Beside unless your an engine tuner you can't hardley do anything to that coyote once it's installed & running without the need for one.

Don't get me wrong I like the coyote & like it in the mustangs but don't think I'd do it to my vert even if some one else was paying to do it my way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You really don’t need massive amounts of power in these small cars. The curb weight of a 65 is roughly 2500lbs. 300hp in that is a lot of fun. Coyote swaps have their place in other cars.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
If your car is a GT, no on the Coyote.

·
Registered
788 Posts
We all strongly advise you use a Windsor crate motor (302 to 427 CI), especially in an early fastback. The Coyote is a very wide engine, so LOTS of work and expense is involved for early Mustang transplants. The wording in your original question makes me wonder if you are aware of these factors. You might want to search tthe forum for Coyote-based builds.

If you're starting with derelict, rust-bucket "project" cars like me, then the cost of installing a "shock tower delete" front suspension isn't that big of a deal. I've got to rebuild the whole front frame and suspension anyway. But if you've got a nice driver and just want a fresh, peppy engine, then stick with an easy and quick Windsor swap.

The coyote is overrated and mostly hype.
Wow. This statement is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. It's very hard to beat any DOHC engine for no-holds-barred performance. Imagine a 427 SOHC "Cammer" which is affordable, reliable, light, and very practical on the street. Well, we've had that since 2011 and it's call the "Coyote".

The two best hot-rod engines Ford ever produced are the Windsor and Coyote V8 families. But these engines are so different it's difficult to objectively compare them. Each in their own way, they provide affordable, reliable, lightweight power. Old school, new school, it's all good.

But there's also a very good reason why forum posts commonly compare 6L to 7L Windsor "strokers" to the stock 5L Coyotes. The target performance is 500 HP and low-to-mid 400 torque while surviving regular 7K RPMS runs. On normal pump gas, not E85 or race gas. The block must survive up to about 1000 HP. That's a very expensive proposition for a 5L Windsor. Price out a Dart SHP block, internally balanced forged crank, port-injection, cam/crank sensors, the best valve train, etc. and you get a real feel for the Coyote's price-to-performance ratio.

The Coyote gives you the best of both worlds: mild manners, reliability, light weight, and big-block power levels on demand. It's a pretty amazing engineering feat. Sadly, it's the last hot-rod V8 engine Ford will ever build. From here on out, it's all 4 and 6 banger turbos until EVs take over. Drive your Red Barchettas while you can folks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been reviewing these options for a while now as my '65 Fastback engine is toast. I did consider a Coyote as they are cheap--especially out of a wreck. But there is a ton of cutting and destruction to get that unit to fit and a crate motor makes easily as much HP. I'm going crate and likely going with BluePrint Engines unless between now and the time I am ready (about 3 months), I find out why I should NOT. I made this little spreadsheet of crate motors. I was also trying to compare HP to the weight against my '12 Shelby for reference. As well, I have read some pretty good things about the 363 engine, despite what some say about longevity. I tried to post the Excel so that sorting and filtering would be of help but this forum does not allow that extension. So PDF it is. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
395 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My local builder has a 302 option that's 340HP/340TQ, or a 331 Stroker that's 385HP/400TQ. I'm going to take the car to them next week and see what they have to say. The Stroker is only $1,400 more than the 302. My 289 is 200HP, so either option plus the 5 speed should dramatically increase the fun factor.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts