Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recall the one guy who put the Toyota engine in it. 6 cylinder turbo. Interesting choice...

I don't think anyone has done a rotary yet.

The 4 cylinder SVO engine would be different. And a 300hp Ecoboost from a newer S550 model would really get people's attention.

Or the V-6.

What's the strangest engine you've seen in a classic Mustang?

·
Registered
13 Posts
10 years ago I saw a 56 thunderbird with a new Lincoln dohc engine installed. When the hood was opened it looked like the factory installed it. all hoses, belts. everything was new and looked super clean. The car was prestine as well. It drove better than a Lincoln he took it out of. Kinda of neat to see the integrity it took to do it. probably cost a fortune too.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm pretty sure at this point a 350 Chevy has been put in everything with two, three or four wheels.
I worked with a guy who kept telling me to put a GM motor in my Stang. Don't worry, that's not happening for a multitude of reasons but I have always been jealous of the GM crowd because of how much cheaper their engines are and what they can easily wedge into their rides.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I have an 80 year old customer who put a 5.8L supercharged Lightening engine in his 56 Merc . He widened the frame and it fits under the stock hood .

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
There was also a v12 Allison powered Opel GT, but that one seems to have gone away.
I've always wanted to get my hands on a Ford GAA just for fun. They found duty after the war as pump motors on farms so they are still around.
Some other pervs out there:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I recall the one guy who put the Toyota engine in it. 6 cylinder turbo. Interesting choice...

I don't think anyone has done a rotary yet.

The 4 cylinder SVO engine would be different. And a 300hp Ecoboost from a newer S550 model would really get people's attention.

Or the V-6.

What's the strangest engine you've seen in a classic Mustang?
Ford actually did the rotary swap themselves.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 69 referenced above, I followed his build on instagram and it's running/driving. I have an ecoboost F150 and would love that engine in my '66 (if he's on here, hope he doesn't mind me posting this pic).

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wonder what kind of mileage you’d get with an EcoBoost classic Mustang? I think a Ferrari engine would be really cool, especially if you painted the car Rosso Corsa.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This isnt a classic mustang...but its definitely the craziest engine swap I have seen:

This guy swapped 2 Hayabusa engines connected with a chain drive into a Pontiac Fiero...too bad Photobucket policy destroys the pictures.

Edit: They WERE in a Fiero, I guess he swapped to a tube chassis before he finished it(havent been on that site it probably 5 years...but was a cool build while it was still a Fiero

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wonder what kind of mileage you’d get with an EcoBoost classic Mustang? I think a Ferrari engine would be really cool, especially if you painted the car Rosso Corsa.
This twin turbo Ferrari engine'd Mustang was built here in North Phoenix by AL Hotrods, incredible machine and they autocross it. Google search "Corrupt Mustang".

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
sorry but you guys dont know crazy when it comes to engine swaps. talk to us old time crew chiefs about crazy.

i saw at the drag strip a big block chevy swapped into a chevette for drag racing.
hot rod magazine back in the early 80s had two different articles on engine swaps into honda 600 coupes, one hada 454 chevy the other had a 455 olds motor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This isnt a classic mustang...but its definitely the craziest engine swap I have seen:

This guy swapped 2 Hayabusa engines connected with a chain drive into a Pontiac Fiero...too bad Photobucket policy destroys the pictures.

Edit: They WERE in a Fiero, I guess he swapped to a tube chassis before he finished it(havent been on that site it probably 5 years...but was a cool build while it was still a Fiero
455 Olds engines in the Fieros were popular a while ago.

I think the supercharger is a little excessive... :cautious:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts