Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm still waiting for the first Telsa-powered classic Mustang.
You will be waiting a long time then...Tesla engines and drivetrains are transverse....far better to have an AC electric motor w/ regenerative braking in a FR configuration WITH an actual transmission...contrary to popular belief, Tesla didnt make anything new with their EVs...they just took a standard AC electric motor that had been on the market for decades and made a custom-fit battery pack....you can do a lot better than Tesla with other options available for Electric motors

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This has to be one of the grandest Mustang engine swaps of all history:

I always wanted to play around with a "hot-V" engine...aside from exhaust routing nightmares it seems more logical for the exhaust to come out the top of the engine

P.S. On a different note...I NEED THAT THROTTLE LINKAGE! It would be ideal for what I am doing...I think I will have to copy the design now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You will be waiting a long time then...Tesla engines and drivetrains are transverse....far better to have an AC electric motor w/ regenerative braking in a FR configuration WITH an actual transmission...contrary to popular belief, Tesla didnt make anything new with their EVs...they just took a standard AC electric motor that had been on the market for decades and made a custom-fit battery pack....you can do a lot better than Tesla with other options available for Electric motors
You could open up ("tub") the rear axle area and possibly fit a Tesla rear drive unit back there.

I think you might be the first person to describe the Tesla motor as "they just took a standard AC electric motor that had been on the market for decades". I don't believe it's an "off the shelf" item.

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
sorry but you guys dont know crazy when it comes to engine swaps. talk to us old time crew chiefs about crazy.

i saw at the drag strip a big block chevy swapped into a chevette for drag racing.
hot rod magazine back in the early 80s had two different articles on engine swaps into honda 600 coupes, one hada 454 chevy the other had a 455 olds motor.
Steve Magnante built a Chevette with a Cadillac V8. He used to refer to it simply as a "Big block 'Vette".

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
I read an article years ago, maybe Hot Rod Mag or something, about a person across the pond who put a Spitfire engine in a 1969 ? 1970 Mustang. What was strange about the car, it looked something like a large Capri, as the nose had to be extended due to the length of the engine. It was rev limited to a relatively low RPM, but had torque beyond belief, and was capable of over 160 mph.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Steve Magnante built a Chevette with a Cadillac V8. He used to refer to it simply as a "Big block 'Vette".

Ah the Ford Capri. I'd forgotten about them...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

That guy is so goofy he probably only got dates by telling girls he had a "vette". When he picked them up they were dissapointed twice, probably 3 times if he made it to home base with them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I read an article years ago, maybe Hot Rod Mag or something, about a person across the pond who put a Spitfire engine in a 1969 ? 1970 Mustang. What was strange about the car, it looked something like a large Capri, as the nose had to be extended due to the length of the engine. It was rev limited to a relatively low RPM, but had torque beyond belief, and was capable of over 160 mph.
John Dodd - the car was nicknamed 'The Beast' and Rolls Royce took him to court as he used a Rolls grille shell on it without their consent.

The Rolls connection is that the Merlin engine from the Spitfire was built by Rolls.

There is another guy over here with a currently street legal and street driven Rover SD1 with a 27 litre aero engine in it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Then there is the Shogun- SVO shoe horned into a Festiva

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
That guy is so goofy he probably only got dates by telling girls he had a "vette". When he picked them up they were dissapointed twice, probably 3 times if he made it to home base with them.
Oh yeah, goofy to the tenth power. But I like his "Junk Yard Gold" show. It's everything most other car TV shows aren't. No fake drama. No fake deadlines. No thinly-veiled advertisements. (Well, maybe for the salvage yard he's cruising.) He just wanders around a junk yard and comments about the cars he sees while sharing his VAST knowledge of American iron. I learn a lot every time I watch it and I think that's really cool.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts