Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen the prices the people are paying for an affordably modified 67-68 fastbacks? I was watching the mecum auctions and saw a 67 come through. It went for $145,000 !? For you guys that build these you can see they just threw the proverbial JC Whitney catalog of bolt on stuff on it and said done. It has a good cut and buff I will say that. It is a cheap build compared to most standards for this much money. Real GT500s are barely getting this.

check it out here;

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback | F132 | Las Vegas 2021 | Mecum Auctions

·
I won a special award
8,186 Posts
I don't know if I would call that car barely modified. It's had a lot done to it. While it's not as nice as a lot of other modified fastbacks, there is a ton of work and upgrades in that car. But yes, fastbacks are going for money these days.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yes, that is a steep price for that car. Typical of auctions these days. I disagree that it's a cheap build though, seems pretty well done to me.

Reactions: Randall67

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if I would call that car barely modified. It's had a lot done to it. While it's not as nice as a lot of other modified fastbacks, there is a ton of work and upgrades in that car. But yes, fastbacks are going for money these days.
It has upgrades
Modified cars are now, in many cases , bringing more money than correct concourse perfect restorations. I think it’s a combination of so many automotive tv shows and people wanting modern reliability and luxurys like A/C, etc.
Yes! I work at a resto and custom shop and we are just shocked at this price for this specific car. Half the build as one of our Eleonores with coyote and independent rear suspension and it brought this money/ That interior with stock suspension is just surprising.

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
Way outta my price range, before the mods, and that's hardly a list of Autozone stick-on stuff.

Reactions: rpm and Randall67

·
Registered
69 Fastback 351W .030 over, mild cam, C4
112 Posts
It has upgrades

Yes! I work at a resto and custom shop and we are just shocked at this price for this specific car. Half the build as one of our Eleonores with coyote and independent rear suspension and it brought this money/ That interior with stock suspension is just surprising.
You are living what I dreamed of doing growing up. I’m jealous.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Modified cars are now, in many cases , bringing more money than correct concourse perfect restorations. I think it’s a combination of so many automotive tv shows and people wanting modern reliability and luxurys like A/C, etc.
It will be interesting to see what DRSBMiller's car goes for on BAT. His car is very well done, but some commenters are lamenting the loss of a stock GT fastback. This will provide some good intel on the state of the car hobby and what today's buyers value.

Reactions: Randall67

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It will be interesting to see what DRSBMiller's car goes for on BAT. His car is very well done, but some commenters are lamenting the loss of a stock GT fastback. This will provide some good intel on the state of the car hobby and what today's buyers value.
I will check it out. We tried to sell an original gt350h with 23k miles on it but they are going for crap numbers on BAT. They went from 185k down to 135 in a year

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What shop? I’m in Virginia
H&H Performance in Dubois Pa.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I will check it out. We tried to sell an original gt350h with 23k miles on it but they are going for crap numbers on BAT. They went from 185k down to 135 in a year
The GT350H on there now is getting good numbers. Shelby's are tough to gauge because the cognoscenti expect every detail to be perfect or else they trash it.

Reactions: 2+2=GT350

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
We can build it for that because of resources but we wouldnt build it for a customer for that of course.
Bingo. Paying someone 75 to $100 an hour for the work, it sold for less than what it would cost average Joe to have it done.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have wanted a "67 FB since I was in high school, but was never in the position to make it happen. Finally after many many moons I was at a point to pick up my first mustang, but the prices for FBs were/are OUTRAGEUOS!! Everyone wants to turn them into these custom resto mod cars and dump crazy money into them! And honestly I feel they have become way over rated, they aren't "classics" anymore, they're rich people status symbols for the most part. Thus I'm rockn' a '67 vert, and totally happy! ;)
Rant complete!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts