Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I have no idea if this is possible so looking for some info and advice.

Background, read a story of someone putting a 1969 body on a 2014 GT500 here:

1969 Mustang Body on a 2014 GT500 Chassis? Yes Please!

I was thinking... a lot of the people doing coyote swaps have to make room for the engine by doing a lot of mod work.

More background.

I used to know a guy who would buy wrecked cars one wrecked in the back another in the front, and he would cut them in half and weld the two good halves together.

My question is, what sort of frame do the new mustangs have?

And can you cut off the front of the new one, weld it to old mustang, and then put on the old sheet metal? Keeping the engine, suspension brakes and maybe the dash of the newer one?

·
Dimples
3,882 Posts
They don’t have a frame. It’s a unibody car. The straightest path would likely be cutting the body off of the new car so it’s just a floor pan and grafting the old body to that. Anything is possible with enough time and money, but the kind of person that can pull that off likely wouldn’t be asking us how to do it. It would be a major fabrication undertaking.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
There is a guy over on the MTF forums doing this now. Insane amounts of metal fab. Agree a Roadster shop or Art Morrison Chassies are cheaper/easier options.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
There have been several cars built using chunks of later model cars. One build claimed the stability control worked as it should. Wonder if there are airbags installed. Swapping ABS or other safety features would seem like a major achievement.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even if you could... I'm not sure I would. Something about the final result looks off to me, simply put. I know you're free to spend your money however, but just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You'd be better off getting a frame from a company like Roadster Shop. It's probably still a little cheaper than the 2014 Coyote donor at this point.
Exactly how I would do it except perhaps Morrison. It's a lot of work but for someone with the tools, time and chops it would be a great way to resto-mod a classis Mustang.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts