Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this render on Instagram (I’ll attach down below) and they had the exhaust exiting from the quarter panel right above the torque box. It was a big 4-5” pipe. It seems the only way to do it would be to run the exhaust up through the floor pan before the torque box and then run it out the side. But then you have exhaust pipe inside the cab. So do you guys see any other ways to accomplish this? I was thinking maybe a good quality exhaust wrap and then build a box lined with heat shield around the part that is inside. As a secondary question can you run a single pipe for a V8 and be ok? I’m talking like a 4”-5” pipe. Interested to hearing your ideas and thoughts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
You could obviously do what you describe and even build a sheet metal box around the area where the pipe passes through the cabin. In fact I think DOT laws forbid the exhaust passing through the cabin so a sealed off box would be required to pass the safety inspection. This would pretty well eliminate a rear seat.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
You could come up through the floor and form a box to seal it like you said- probably wouldn't be that hard. Not sure heat would be much of an issue that far back- unless you were running a/c in the car- then maybe. Looks kinda cool, not sure I'd do it in mine. As far as a single pipe on a V8 engine- Ford has done it for years with less than a 3" pipe

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could obviously do what you describe and even build a sheet metal box around the area where the pipe passes through the cabin. In fact I think DOT laws forbid the exhaust passing through the cabin so a sealed off box would be required to pass the safety inspection. This would pretty well eliminate a rear seat.

we don’t have any sort of safety inspection here in Florida unless they check when it gets registered I don’t believe so. I have my roll bar back there so I can’t safely carry rear seat passengers anyway.

You could come up through the floor and form a box to seal it like you said- probably wouldn't be that hard. Not sure heat would be much of an issue that far back- unless you were running a/c in the car- then maybe. Looks kinda cool, not sure I'd do it in mine. As far as a single pipe on a V8 engine- Ford has done it for years with less than a 3" pipe
yeah no ac. I like the fact that it’s an inter Challenge. Also it would probably sound unique on the interior given the exhaust is right there lol

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm pretty sure @latoracing has his side exhaust passing thru the torque box on his 70.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure @latoracing has his side exhaust passing thru the torque box on his 70.
Id be drilling atleast a 4” hole which really really scares me because its structural to the car and even still the exhaust would have to be in the interior.if you can picture the rear seat area then you’ll understand kind of where the exhaust has to run to exit that high on the car. That’s right above the rocker.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Id be drilling atleast a 4” hole which really really scares me because its structural to the car and even still the exhaust would have to be in the interior.if you can picture the rear seat area then you’ll understand kind of where the exhaust has to run to exit that high on the car. That’s right above the rocker.
Latoracing did reinforce the torque box. He is a master fabricator, who I would trust to race anything he built. Check out his build tread.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Latoracing did reinforce the torque box. He is a master fabricator, who I would trust to race anything he built. Check out his build tread.
it looks like all the images are not longer available in his build thread. Anyway I think what he did is different from this. I don’t know for sure. I’m sure he will chime in

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is all I've got.
20200310_105415.png

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Absolutely it's different. And better because you don't have to build a box in the passenger compartment.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
I like Lato's version. The one on the 47 car reminds me of the sewer hookup on the side of a camper.
If you going to do such with a single pipe it would make your life a whole lot easier to forget the round holes and big diameter pipes and go with NASCAR style stuff. Expensive, but helps keep things from dragging on the ground.
Like this:

Here's your size selections.:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely it's different. And better because you don't have to build a box in the passenger compartment.
I see, I feel there may be diminishing returns when you move up to a 4” pipe and try that. I’ll have to measure and see. I do kinda like how high it exits in my render though. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like Lato's version. The one on the 47 car reminds me of the sewer hookup on the side of a camper.
If you going to do such with a single pipe it would make your life a whole lot easier to forget the round holes and big diameter pipes and go with NASCAR style stuff. Expensive, but helps keep things from dragging on the ground.
Like this:

Here's your size selections.:
oh latos version is cleaner for sure and definitely more classy. But my car will be neither of those things and I kinda like the in your face massive exhaust exit and it’s higher up. I like the idea of using oval stuff too. we will see. Thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
If youve ever seen the ford f150 with the exhaust in front of the wheel you might rethink this idea. It played HELL on the wheels of those trucks. It would be even worse with a non cat, carbed v8. I think that mustangs to fear sells a kit to reenforce the torque box and run it out in the rocker.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If youve ever seen the ford f150 with the exhaust in front of the wheel you might rethink this idea. It played HELL on the wheels of those trucks. It would be even worse with a non cat, carbed v8. I think that mustangs to fear sells a kit to reenforce the torque box and run it out in the rocker.
iv seen a lot of people do side exit. It can’t be that bad right? I mean how much heat will hit the wheel when your going 40mph?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I like Lato's version.
Ya, me too. I ran oval on mine, and never scraped on anything, nor have the rear tires been any hotter than the fronts.
20200310_114741.png

·
Registered
876 Posts
oh latos version is cleaner for sure and definitely more classy. But my car will be neither of those things and I kinda like the in your face massive exhaust exit and it’s higher up. I like the idea of using oval stuff too. we will see. Thanks for your input
I wanted to do exactly what your wanting to do, just wanted to do something that I hadn't seen before. Mine is dual exits with some custom built Spintech mufflers (6 baffles) to tone it down a little.

KIMG0248.jpeg

KIMG0264.jpeg

I did not go through the torque box, but after it, through the frame rail. It does come into the cabin a little, but will have a cover over the area. I reinforced the frame rail with some slightly cut up 2" x 4" .120" wall tube and welded it directly to the frame rail. I am running a SoT 3-link so the leaf spring mounts are not used.

KIMG0342.jpeg

My exhaust is oval tube (2.25" x 3.5") that is tucked up nice and tight to the bottom of the car.

My thoughts on doing a 4.5" ish tip out one side; It would defiantly be on the passenger side. I do not think you would be able to go through the rear torque box as it is only 3.5" tall with a decent size pipe without solid mounting it. Going up through the floor and going out the quarter would be much easier, even with the box in the rear seat area. It should be well sealed and lots of sound deadener, you'll definitely hear your exhaust.

Different is good!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks lato, I stand corrected. I'm old with no memory, and it had been a while since I looked at your pics :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanted to do exactly what your wanting to do, just wanted to do something that I hadn't seen before. Mine is dual exits with some custom built Spintech mufflers (6 baffles) to tone it down a little.

View attachment 746750

View attachment 746751

I did not go through the torque box, but after it, through the frame rail. It does come into the cabin a little, but will have a cover over the area. I reinforced the frame rail with some slightly cut up 2" x 4" .120" wall tube and welded it directly to the frame rail. I am running a SoT 3-link so the leaf spring mounts are not used.

View attachment 746752

My exhaust is oval tube (2.25" x 3.5") that is tucked up nice and tight to the bottom of the car.

My thoughts on doing a 4.5" ish tip out one side; It would defiantly be on the passenger side. I do not think you would be able to go through the rear torque box as it is only 3.5" tall with a decent size pipe without solid mounting it. Going up through the floor and going out the quarter would be much easier, even with the box in the rear seat area. It should be well sealed and lots of sound deadener, you'll definitely hear your exhaust.

Different is good!
wow I really appreciate the detailed reply.
Exactly! You understand it! I just want something different and even more so a challenge.

someone was telling me I don’t need 4” the whole way unless I was pushing 700 hp. Sound right? So I was thinking just do a single 3” or oval and then dump out of a big tip just for the looks.

Out of curiosity why would you choose to run it on the passenger side? I haven’t thought which side I’d run it on but I’d like to hear your reasoning behind it.

I also would use a spintec muffler. Probably just a pro street 9000 or whatever they call their loudest one.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts