Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Why only a single pipe?
that’s a valid question for which my answer is: it’s cheaper. Half as much to be exact. And the only reason to do a dual exhaust is sound. Since I won’t have a cam or anything like that I’m pretty much scrapped on having dual exhaust be super worth it. So why not just a single right? This is speculation and also some research. I’m not an exhaust expert. What do you think?

·
Registered
413 Posts
that’s a valid question for which my answer is: it’s cheaper. Half as much to be exact. And the only reason to do a dual exhaust is sound. Since I won’t have a cam or anything like that I’m pretty much scrapped on having dual exhaust be super worth it. So why not just a single right? This is speculation and also some research. I’m not an exhaust expert. What do you think?
With a single pipe how are you going to route the exhaust over to the one side, through the dash behind the instruments? The disadvantage of a single-sided exhaust is that traditionally an equal length exhaust may produce more power.

If you're going to do an exhaust then do one like this!

I mean, sure there may be some technical hurdles like having to swap the heads but... :cool:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don’t have any personal experience with doing this, but add me as a +1 for thinking it’s super cool.
yipeee!

With a single pipe how are you going to route the exhaust over to the one side, through the dash behind the instruments? The disadvantage of a single-sided exhaust is that traditionally an equal length exhaust may produce more power.

If you're going to do an exhaust then do one like this!

I mean, sure there may be some technical hurdles like having to swap the heads but... :cool:
what’s to stop me from going off long tubes with 3” collectors. Merging them over to one side and then dumping into a muffler, then up into the cab and out the quarter? Sounds simple but like I said I’m no expert.

·
Registered
876 Posts
wow I really appreciate the detailed reply.
Exactly! You understand it! I just want something different and even more so a challenge.

someone was telling me I don’t need 4” the whole way unless I was pushing 700 hp. Sound right? So I was thinking just do a single 3” or oval and then dump out of a big tip just for the looks.

Out of curiosity why would you choose to run it on the passenger side? I haven’t thought which side I’d run it on but I’d like to hear your reasoning behind it.

I also would use a spintec muffler. Probably just a pro street 9000 or whatever they call their loudest one.
I guess it depends on how much HP your wanting to make and how loud you want it. Dual 2.5" tubes into a 3.5" single tube to the muffler would be more than sufficient for a street car (IMO) with "realistic" power goals.

Run a fairly standard H / X system just past the foot wells for the rear seat. Turn both tubes up 90 degrees to a transverse style muffler located in the rear passenger seat area with a straight shot out the quarter with a stainless plate tip. Cover up the area like a GT-350 rear seat delete but carefully sealed.

My reasoning for going out the passenger side is two fold. It keeps some of the noise out of your ear, and since you'll probably be riding by yourself, keeps the hot tip from burning you when you get out of your car lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I guess it depends on how much HP your wanting to make and how loud you want it. Dual 2.5" tubes into a 3.5" single tube to the muffler would be more than sufficient for a street car (IMO) with "realistic" power goals.

Run a fairly standard H / X system just past the foot wells for the rear seat. Turn both tubes up 90 degrees to a transverse style muffler located in the rear passenger seat area with a straight shot out the quarter with a stainless plate tip. Cover up the area like a GT-350 rear seat delete but carefully sealed.

My reasoning for going out the passenger side is two fold. It keeps some of the noise out of your ear, and since you'll probably be riding by yourself, keeps the hot tip from burning you when you get out of your car lol.
ok that’s interesting. So what if I did an H pip with 2.5 or 3 inch and then go to a muffler underneath the car still. Then pop up through the rear seat and go to the quarter?
Power goals are 250hp. Lol this is just supposed to be a really light, fun, street car built like a race car on a budget. One day we will go crazy but right now I’m content at 250.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Modify an X pipe to your single pipe and muffler, turn the pipe up and out, just leave enough clearance around it, should work.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
Also if you follow certain kinds of racing, dumping the exhaust out the passenger side is a thing.

·
Dimples
3,855 Posts
Power goals are 250hp. Lol this is just supposed to be a really light, fun, street car built like a race car on a budget. One day we will go crazy but right now I’m content at 250.
Ok, that sounds like a perfect plan. Light, cheap, fun toss-around kinda car. You don’t need a ton of power to generate smiles.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
That's basically mimicking the exhaust Trans Am Series racing cars use. They have 180° headers, all run to the passenger side, which then joins into a single tube inside the passenger "door" ( they don't actually have a pass. door ), and turns out before the rear tire. That's why they have a large single exhaust.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's basically mimicking the exhaust Trans Am Series racing cars use. They have 180° headers, all run to the passenger side, which then joins into a single tube inside the passenger "door" ( they don't actually have a pass. door ), and turns out before the rear tire. That's why they have a large single exhaust.
ha that’s awesome. I actually am doing a lot of trans am stuff in this car. I don’t think I will go as far as not having a passenger door but that’s still really cool. I love the trans am race cars. Those guys were some of the most ingenious racers ever.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
ha that’s awesome. I actually am doing a lot of trans am stuff in this car. I don’t think I will go as far as not having a passenger door but that’s still really cool. I love the trans am race cars. Those guys were some of the most ingenious racers ever.
I do like Trans Am, I crewed for a small team back in 2000-2002.

·
Registered
413 Posts
yipeee!

what’s to stop me from going off long tubes with 3” collectors. Merging them over to one side and then dumping into a muffler, then up into the cab and out the quarter? Sounds simple but like I said I’m no expert.
Sorry, I thought someone was talking about dumping it out in front of the door. Which I thought was unique. And I may have gotten that totally wrong. Good thing I got new glasses. Going out by the rear quarter is no problem.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts