Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry, I thought someone was talking about dumping it out in front of the door. Which I thought was unique. And I may have gotten that totally wrong. Good thing I got new glasses. Going out by the rear quarter is no problem.
well people dump out the fender wall the time. But then your just headers which is good for a race car but for my lower Hp number it would sound awful hence dumping out the quarter and shoving a muffler in there somewhere

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
While these certainly look pretty cool...from a practical standpoint, its a lot of work that has no actual benefit over a rear exit setup...you are adding as much weight in boxing as you are saving from slightly shorter pipes....and then there is the fact that side-exit exhaust of any type is louder both for the driver/passenger of the car in question...as well as other drivers in adjacent lanes...which is why as tempting as they are for looks, I always end up back at the classic rear-exit with my project cars...only did side-exit one one project car and hated it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
While these certainly look pretty cool...from a practical standpoint, its a lot of work that has no actual benefit over a rear exit setup...you are adding as much weight in boxing as you are saving from slightly shorter pipes....and then there is the fact that side-exit exhaust of any type is louder both for the driver/passenger of the car in question...as well as other drivers in adjacent lanes...which is why as tempting as they are for looks, I always end up back at the classic rear-exit with my project cars...only did side-exit one one project car and hated it.
this was never supposed to be practical. When is that ever fun? This is supposed to be a challenge and be unique.
As far as noise is concerned I will put a muffler on it and yes it still will be loud in the cabin especially because the pipe will be right behind you. I don’t think it will be that much louder than a rear exit for other drivers. Where I live there isn’t any traffic and I’m usually never going slow enough to block two lanes by sitting cruising next to another car. To put it simply to go anywhere I have to get on to a 60mph Highway and then onto the interstate. I won’t be sitting next to cars long enough for me to be concerned about annoying them. Probably will only be annoying myself. Haha no, exhaust replaces a radio for me

·
Registered
77 Posts
oh latos version is cleaner for sure and definitely more classy. But my car will be neither of those things and I kinda like the in your face massive exhaust exit and it’s higher up. I like the idea of using oval stuff too. we will see. Thanks for your input
Cut to the chase & run 8 tubes up through the bonnet, Mad-Max Style...
:p

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here’s a way to get large single exhaust to the rear.
Increase the height of your center hump.
This will provide two things.
1) will allow exhaust without it inside
2) will make body more resistant to flex... did same thing on Mazda Miata.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts