Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of T5 trannys out there for V6 and V4 mustangs. Is it possible to make them work on a V8? Could you just change the internal parts during a rebuild?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The input shaft on the smaller engine T5 is to long and would need to be replaced. I know the gear ratios are different as well. There may also be a strength issue as well, I'm not 100% sure on that one though.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
A friend of mine claimed to have a non V8 trans in his 5.0 car at one time. I believe they are weaker because it did fail quite quickly. I have no way to varify this other than his statement.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Non-V8 T-5's are significantly weaker. The gear ratios are not well suited to V-8's either. As far as replacing internal parts to convert it to a v-8 spec transmission, I cannot speak to if it is possible, but I can tell you it is cost prohibative. At one point I thought I would rebuild a V-8 T-5 that may have needed a new main shaft. The new main shaft and gears were $500. This did not include bearing or the general rebuild kit. After thinking about it, I returned the gears and shaft and had them send me a new T-5z.

Stock, rebuilt units can be had for $800 or so and new, heavy duty units are between $1000 and $1100. Not cheap, but neither are the hard parts for these units.

Check this out for T-5 specifications: www.geocities.com/2bav8/t5data.html

·
Registered
227 Posts
The four banger T-5 will fit but it won't be as strong as the v-8 one. And just F.Y.I. the T-5's from 94-95 302's have longer input shafts because of the interior placement of the shifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts