Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...this is my first post in the forum. I am preparing for the road trip of a lifetime, driving my 68 coupe from Maine to California and back. Just got back from mechanic yesterday, and should be ready to go. Many people have told me that I may be nuts!!! I answer that, well, yes, I just might be. My question is this...while I'm fairly confident in most aspects of the vehicle, I wonder about my cooling system. I have replaced the water pump and all hoses and upgraded to a 3 core radiator. The car still showed a tendency towards overheating, so I have been running it without a thermostat. No problems. Any reason to not attempt this trip (assuming 8000 miles or so over 35 days) without a thermostat. Advice and prayers accepted!!!

Thanks,

Bill

see my baby at:
http://spitcup.knac.com/mustang.html

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by spitcup on 03/24/01 10:18 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Why not pickup a summer thermo and instal it and then see what your temp is sitting at. The one in the car may be a high-winter one and if you change it to say a 140 it may be all you need . If it has a low temp one then you should flush out the system and go from there..I have a 69 and I have not seen it up past the center/safe area yet, same on the 65 I have, no overheating at all on it but I am also quite a bit north of you so a bit cooler weather as well.
Don

D .G.Cudmore

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I've got my summer thermo sitting the glovebox waiting for the warm weather!

Michelle (aka Mustang Shelly)
1968 GT 390 Fastback
http://mich_pc.boltpages.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lefbacsmall.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, 8,000 miles is a LONG journey, but if you drive every day of the 35 days, it's only about 230 miles a day. That shouldn't be a problem.

About the cooling system: make sure it's operating as efficiently as it should. For extra protection and peace of mind: fit an auxiliary electric fan that you can switch on when necessary. You can pick one up for very little money at a junk yard.
I have one and it works very well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the bottom hose has a spring in it. (so it won't suck closed at high speed) Sounds like a great trip. Have fun

·
Registered
762 Posts
Have a great trip. If you don't have one, get a fan shroud. It makes a HUGE difference.

Make sure you let us all know how you make out. Welcome to the forum...

JJ
69 Fastback 302 2v 3sp. trans.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1605599&a=12251632&p=44630868.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just some thoughts to ponder:

1. Running without a t-stat prevents an engine from reaching normal operating temperature. This causes premature wear and a big drop in MPGs.

2. Most indications of near overheating are frequently indications rather than reality.

3. Launching on a major road trip with a potential everheating problem could bite you in the butt.

Recommend you put in a 180 degree t-stat and than check the actual radiator water temp with a thermometer when the engine is warmed up. Also check the temp when the gauge indicates a near overheat condition. May just be a matter of a bad temp sender. If you are approaching an overheat now, you will boil over at altitude.

Welcome to the Forum - great folks and no shortage of cheap advice. Good Luck

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Put in a thermostat. The 3 core radiator may not do it. A 4 core is the only way
to go with these cars. You can sell your 3 core on E-Bay and buy a 4 core. You
may have trouble with the 3 core and you won't with the 4 core. A electric push
fan on the front will help also.
Wheel bearings, did your mechanic check the rears and re-pack the fronts? Did he
grease or replace the u-joints? Was the trans. fluid changed? Is your battery in
good condition? Are all the rubber fuel lines in good shape? How old is the fuel pump?
Take a spare with you, and a alternator, and a fan belt or two.
Take a cell. phone and a AAA card.
There is nothing more fun than a good road trip, GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts