Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but.....
Something has changed with regard to getting problems resolved with the various card providers. I've had a couple of disputes recently and the process has become a real PITA.
Most recently is a monthly ROKU charge that I could not get removed from my monthly CC statement, although the ROKU account is cancelled and I don't even have the equipment (which I own) attached to the TV.
ROKU wants you to do all account changes online, utilizing your Username and Password..... in my case that couldn't occur because my User and Pass are no longer valid.
Just spent a half hour with a Visa card supervisor to get this all handled. Never used to be this difficult. (This is after having filled out a dispute form and sending it back to Visa in the mail, only to get a response
2 weeks later that my dispute was not valid)

Apparently credit card customers now have to cross all "T's" and dot all "I's" to get anything remotely resembling what I recall as customer service. Then again I might be too used to American Express's version
which is (was?) definitely pro-card holder.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Might be from too many people thinking they can cancel or dispute the charges and keep the stuff. Obviously not the case here but you might be experiencing fall out from others.

·
Just some guy
20,000 Posts
I've been in a standoff with a Capital One card for almost two years now. I found a used Snap On scanner in a pawn shop and tried to charge it. Nope. Called 1-800 and got a woman on a scratchy VERY long distance line, in a busy and loud office, who had a heavy Indian accent asking me questions about my past to verify my ID. I didn't quite get one and she failed me. Every time I called I would get the same difficult to understand people who worked strictly out of what their three ring binder said. "Customer says: A, reply is :B". Period. No bending of any rules for anyone anytime any where. One wanted me to send a photocopy of my driver's license to prove my ID. So I asked that if I had in fact stolen this card along with the rest of somebody's wallet, all I had to do was send a photocopy of his license and the spending spree would be ON. Right? Mad shuffling of pages and no actual clear reply. No "supervisors" of any use. I never did fax anything, sounded dumb. I never could reach anyone by phone whose native language was English. I gave up on that.
I even got on Twitter and opened an account just to contact them a different way. Contactee said they weren't able to do anything and I had to call the 1-800 and talk to the exact same people again that I got on Twitter specifically to complain about not being able to do anything. So no one can do anything and I don't care enough to make a whole bunch of effort to do their jobs for them. I owed them a few thousand dollars and paid it off in a fairly leisurely fashion. Balance has been at zero for about a year and the card is still locked. I've thought about closing it, now I've just left it open out of curiosity. Will someone realize at some point that they can't make any money off me if they never let me use the card? Seems like a computer somewhere would at least flag the account as needing attention or something.
The wife asked me once why I'm carrying around a credit I can't use. One word reply "Stubborness."

(By the way, I went ahead and just paid cash for that scanner and still have it.)

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I close all un-used accounts so they can't be used against me and my hard-earned credit rating.
Edit: i.e. used for financial fraud. My agency has to work hard for good people that have been financially ruined by no real action of their own, but often some inaction that left them vulnerable.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I got 2 new ones last year. Will recycle and transition them all eventually. Read through the standard BS and found where to send notice, within a time frame, to opt-out of arbitration of disputes. Don't know if it really matters for a dispute to be handled easier but i can sue in a local court if i feel like it :)

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I close all un-used accounts so they can't be used against me and my hard-earned credit rating.
The bigger goal is to get to the point you don't give a damn about some arbitrary "credit rating".

Allen

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
The bigger goal is to get to the point you don't give a damn about some arbitrary "credit rating".

Allen
No student loans here. I have a mortgage with a ton of equity and one vehicle for the wife financed at 0.9%, 5 other paid-for vehicles, a little money in three banks, a little cash on hand...I know how to hunt, fish, grow and preserve my own food, cut and split firewood, and to purify water. I have several firearms and a bunch of ammo, and I know how to use them. I have the tools and knowledge to do anything I need to do. I'm doing okay. If I want or need something and don't want to pay for it all at once I can play their game, but I also don't spend more than I have the ability to buy outright. I like the 0% option now and then. And I hope to upgrade my home soon. I also have 2 sons that may need my help beyond high school in this messed-up world.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
No student loans here. I have a mortgage with a ton of equity and one vehicle for the wife financed at 0.9%, 5 other paid-for vehicles, a little money in three banks, a little cash on hand...I know how to hunt, fish, grow and preserve my own food, cut and split firewood, and to purify water. I have several firearms and a bunch of ammo, and I know how to use them. I have the tools and knowledge to do anything I need to do. I'm doing okay. If I want or need something and don't want to pay for it all at once I can play their game, but I also don't spend more than I have the ability to buy outright. I like the 0% option now and then. And I hope to upgrade my home soon. I also have 2 sons that may need my help beyond high school in this messed-up world.
I wasn't calling you out or making a comment about your financial status. It was a general statement. BTW, I have head to Huntsville next weekend with the engine and do a dyno. Hopefully after that I can get up your way, meet you and the boys and see the cars and grab a few rims. I'm looking forward to it. We need to cruise the campus in one of those 66's!!

Allen

·
Registered
600 Posts
FWIW only: I'm a pretty big fan of Discover, and would highly recommend them. I have never, ever had a problem over my 15-plus years with them, they have spotted bogus charges and notified me faster than I ever would have noticed it, and the and the few times I have needed to call them, I spoke with someone in the US, who spoke perfect English. Additionally, it has a decent points system too.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Credit card companies dont know how to give good customer service so when they dont do right by me i just stop paying them but they still dont get it, luckily i owe no one else for anything so my crdit report suffers a little but what they suffer in my non payment more than makes up for the little extra i have to pay for my car insurance. I also dont answer unknown numbers on my magic jack. Capital one took me to court over 3 accounts i had but got nowhere. Being retired i answer to no one except code enforcement buttholes which i am still actively fighting. What a life!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have two credit cards, one I use for utility payments and recurring charges, and the other I use for internet purchases. The internet card somehow gets compromised about once a year, so it gets cancelled and a new card and number is sent to me. This CC company is very easy to deal with, if I see a charge on my statement, I call them and the charge is taken off. It's that simple. The last time my card was scammed, someone tried to use it to charge a hotel room in Barcelona, Spain. The CC company called me and informed me of the charge and asked if it was valid. I said no, haven't been to Barcelona in over 50 years. Th other card has never been compromised, and I've had it for over 25 years.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
We need to cruise the campus in one of those 66's!!

Allen
It's all good in the hood ! I didn't mean to seem brash, either. We can definitely dig around for those wheels. It would be worth the trip to my buddy's house to see his little collection...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I've been in a standoff with a Capital One card for almost two years now. I found a used Snap On scanner in a pawn shop and tried to charge it. Nope. Called 1-800 and got a woman on a scratchy VERY long distance line, in a busy and loud office, who had a heavy Indian accent asking me questions about my past to verify my ID. I didn't quite get one and she failed me. Every time I called I would get the same difficult to understand people who worked strictly out of what their three ring binder said. "Customer says: A, reply is :B". Period. No bending of any rules for anyone anytime any where. One wanted me to send a photocopy of my driver's license to prove my ID. So I asked that if I had in fact stolen this card along with the rest of somebody's wallet, all I had to do was send a photocopy of his license and the spending spree would be ON. Right? Mad shuffling of pages and no actual clear reply. No "supervisors" of any use. I never did fax anything, sounded dumb. I never could reach anyone by phone whose native language was English. I gave up on that.
I even got on Twitter and opened an account just to contact them a different way. Contactee said they weren't able to do anything and I had to call the 1-800 and talk to the exact same people again that I got on Twitter specifically to complain about not being able to do anything. So no one can do anything and I don't care enough to make a whole bunch of effort to do their jobs for them. I owed them a few thousand dollars and paid it off in a fairly leisurely fashion. Balance has been at zero for about a year and the card is still locked. I've thought about closing it, now I've just left it open out of curiosity. Will someone realize at some point that they can't make any money off me if they never let me use the card? Seems like a computer somewhere would at least flag the account as needing attention or something.
The wife asked me once why I'm carrying around a credit I can't use. One word reply "Stubborness."

(By the way, I went ahead and just paid cash for that scanner and still have it.)
Just for the record, I was singing “A country boy can survive” the whole time I read your post.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Edit: i.e. used for financial fraud. My agency has to work hard for good people that have been financially ruined by no real action of their own, but often some inaction that left them vulnerable.
Closing credit accounts hurts your credit rating in the short term. They take down your available credit so your ratios look worse.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
We are debt free.
We use a Discover and Visa, but never carry a balance.
Dont know and dont care what some company that doesnt know us and knows zero about us assigns us for a credit score.

If I ever need credit again and am denied or offered a jacked up rate because of a low credit score, Im suing the SOBs.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Closing credit accounts hurts your credit rating in the short term. They take down your available credit so your ratios look worse.
I have open accounts for places I will actually use but I close that old stuff that is hanging out there that people tend to lose track of until it's too late. I feel so bad for victims of cloned accounts that are so often unmonitored until they start getting debt collection notices etc.
Little collection!!!! drool where’s my invite! Lol 🤤 sheesh that’s some collection!
My buddy is remarkably private about his collection of automobilia, and it is truly a museum, but I will occasionally call ahead and ask if it's okay to bring a friend when we want to look for something in the buildings or fields full of cars...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have open accounts for places I will actually use but I close that old stuff that is hanging out there that people tend to lose track of until it's too late. I feel so bad for victims of cloned accounts that are so often unmonitored until they start getting debt collection notices etc.

My buddy is remarkably private about his collection of automobilia, and it is truly a museum, but I will occasionally call ahead and ask if it's okay to bring a friend when we want to look for something in the buildings or fields full of cars...
Wow that’s great! I wish there was places like that around here!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts